Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Forgive my ignorance, but is that a possibility, or is it just a theory?..>>

@Kumabjorn : In the immediate future, it's a little bit of both. "Printing" an entire functional tablet is probably (from a practical cost standpoint) a little beyond our reach today, but the additive manufacturing of major components is technically within our capability today. (Think: the motherboard with all of its traces and the resistors and capacitors and maybe some of the inductors built in.) Complex ICs will likely be manufactured conventionally and placed into integrated sockets as the mobo is built up; the screen might use a similar "hybrid" approach with some parts printed and others laid in at the appropriate time...

Kumabjorn and thatcomicsguy like this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...If they can make OTA Power delivery work well...>>

Remember what happened to the Krell: "...it must have been renewing its structure from microsecond to microsecond..."

jnjroach likes this.
  3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I feel like I need to learn more about this. I thought I was a chick in the know, going with the flow. But this has passed me by, perhaps because I'm in Japan and no one has ever mentioned it.
    Any links to some introductory material?

lovelaptops likes this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Back in the 1990's my Dad was a Nortel guy and they had developed a fabrication process where they could sandwich multiple layers with resistors and capacitors, etc., right into motherboards. -With, say, five layers, you could reduce the area of a circuit board from 8 x 8 inches down to 2 x 2.

I've often wondered why we don't see boards like that today. -I know one of the difficulties they ran into was on the recycling end. My father was part of a team tasked with minimizing the impact of e-waste. Recycling sandwiched boards was complicated, expensive and toxic, so that might have had something to do with its limited development.

But I remember as a kid going on a family day tour of one of their fabrication plants. I was surprised at the size of the machines; they were very modest. Maybe the size of a medium sized truck; you pour surface mount parts (like sand) into various hoppers and you'd get mother boards out the other end. -Basically a big 3D printer which used pre-made parts instead of multi-function glue.

Marty and Kumabjorn like this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Absolutely fascinating. So the technology is close to 25 years old. I'm baffled that it just passed me by, I guess I was living a filter bubble without knowing it.

Surprising that they weren't able to solve the recycling problems. And it seems we should be able to handle that aspect today.

6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

My old company (1984-1991)! Actually Nortel (and its predecessor co, Northern Telecom, c. 1870) did some amazing things with technology, far ahead even of it's American cousin, Bell labs. Unfortunately the business guys and financial "geniuses" M&A'd that glorious company into the largest bankruptcy in Canadian history, and one of the largest tech bankruptcies anywhere. So much institutional knowledge lost when people from "BNR" (research division) scattered after the bankruptcy in 2009:

"Ontario-based Nortel Networks was once among the biggest makers of telecommunications equipment in the world, with 93,000 employees and a market capitalization of $250 billion at the height of the 1990s technology bubble. After an accounting scandal and a series of management missteps, the company filed for bankruptcy in January 2009. Its global businesses were liquidated, raising $7.3 billion." Source: Reuters

Aside from the 93,000 jobs and $243 billion of value lost, there were literally 100s of research entities were at bleeding edge of every enabling technology in modern electronics, communications, manufacturing, security and software development. A former colleague created 6 separate startups that went on to become public companies in their own rights shortly before the mother ship went down. Greed, sheer greed, and business/financial incompetence. Such a waste, and a true glimpse into the kind of under-reported malfeasance that lost probably more jobs than the technology and globalization Nortel made possible caused.

Marty and thatcomicsguy like this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My family was hit pretty hard.

My Dad lost his job as a direct result, and being in his 50's in a down-swing economy, it was tough to find new work. For a while, he was living in a small rented room, driving between Toronto and another city to hold down a position. He was an amazing, strong man and I never heard him complain even though I am sure he suffered a lot under the stress of holding things together. Even though we had to sell our house and move into a small rental property, I never saw the stress of uncertainty bring down my Mom or my brothers. The guy was a hero.

But the experience does bias me heavily today against the kind of corruption and stupidity which causes such problems. Never promote an idiot out of compassion, and always oppose sociopaths in the workplace.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You rock, and so does your family!

9. Iceman82

Iceman82 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just pre-ordered my 15" 256GB in Aus. They release next Wednesday. Getting excited :)

excalibur1814 likes this.
  10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Wow, that sounds like a brutal experience - for your Dad and your whole family. I knew many of the goons/sociopaths in sr. management of that company, through 1988, when I had the good fortune to leave it. I'm so sorry for what you experienced, but agree entirely with @dstrauss, you and your family are incredibly special - an inspiration. You made my day, though not without some sadness. You are so amazingly talented and just by what you bring to this forum it's clear what kind of a person you are. Thank you for sharing this with us.

dstrauss likes this.