Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

This has been discussed in earlier threads before (look #334). It's a problem with the tilt feature in the new pen and digitizer. I have the exact same problem in my latest Surface Pro with the new 2017 Pen. It's basically impossible to use for some people. I am so frustrated to ink on my SP because of this.

For a more thorough discussion, you can check out this thread.

Microsoft has also delayed pushing out tilt updates for the Surface Studio and other compatible devices because of this hardware defect (and I am not sure they are able to solve this through software). I pray that they do not release the tile feature on other Surfaces until they find a solution.

Iceman82, thatcomicsguy and Azzart like this.
  2. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the Infos. After reading the other posts too, I think it's best to return the SB2.

3. Canabuc

Canabuc Pen Pal - Newbie

Just ordered the 13.5 inch top spec model.
    Coming from 15 inch MBP 2012 model. Wanted something powerful but a bit lighter and smaller.
    Seems all the love is for the 15 inch model.
    I know it has the better graphics card. Otherwise it has Xbox wireless which I am not sure even what that is if someone can explain. I do not have an Xbox.
    Read also something about having color profile options of enhanced and sRGB on the 15. Not sure why not on the 13.5 inch. Is it due to different panel tech?

I am at most a casual gamer though I might consider trying more out of on the laptop. I have love my mac for past 5 years but wanted something a bit lighter and smaller. Tried x1 yoga OLED model Liked the compromise size at 14 inch. Liked it for most part but the OLED display was having color shifting to Blue with smallest viewing angle change that was bothering me. Also convinced was getting headaches from PWM.

So for those who decided on 15 over the 13.5 was it purely for the 1060? If a 13.5 had that graphics capability would you have bought instead?

I am in Canada so no 15 inch to demo. Would imagine at 3:2 aspect the 15inch would be significantly bigger than 15 inch at 16:9.
    How does the 13.5 inch compare size wise?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I didn't end up buying, but for me the only thing making me look at the 15" was the 1060. The larger screen, heavier weight, and higher price were significant negatives. Overall turns out I found them both too expensive. :)

dstrauss likes this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Kumabjorn likes this.
  6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I really had the hots for that machine, especially the large screen. Being able to have a full A4 to doodle on was enticing, then I remembered that I have the a Onyx Boox Max Carta and that is a full A4 and I can't even remember the last time I doodled on it.

thatcomicsguy and JoeS like this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Would you use it more if you could run full Windows art software at lickety-split speeds, and easily move your files around and between machines, etc.?

"The tool which is annoying to use, rusts in the shed."
    ~Said better by someone else.

8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Since I'm not an artist, probably not. But if I could run OneNote on it and annotate reading material I probably would. I do it on PDFs, but I have a tendency to print the PDF to OneNote so my annotations will be searchable. I do switch between SP3, Encore Write 2, iPP 9.7 quite a bit so everything is cloud based these days. Access to files is no problem.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  9. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Surface Book 2 coming to all Surface markets
    https://blogs.windows.com/devices/2...g-to-all-surface-markets/#OWAXQHyEWTdtTRpG.97

Today, we’re excited to bring the power of versatility of Surface Book 2 to more people around the world. Pre-orders for Surface Book 2 15” will begin today in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.

Later, beginning in February and continuing through March and April, Surface Book 2 13” and 15” will roll out to Bahrain, China, Hong Kong, India, Italy, Korea, Kuwait, Malaysia, Oman, Portugal, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand and the United Arab Emirates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Azzart likes this.
  10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Surface book 2 in Italy? I can’t believe it! :eek: