Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

ill just end up getting good deal on an first gen 256gb, did the stabiity issues ever get fixed on first gen.

2. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, the SB1 is very stable and reliable now, all initial bugs have been worked out. I can't think of any issues I've run across for months.

Having said that, I've also been using a SB2 15" for about a month and a half now and it's been very stable too.... much better than when the SB1's first came out.

3. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Which model you thinking? I'm deciding between the SB and ThinkPad X1 Yoga gen 2.

4. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

Iv actually had my eye on the xz6 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-...n-i5-7200U-8GB-256GB-EnglishOS-/142647536259?) but iv read online that its not that well made, http://www.techradar.com/reviews/panasonic-toughbook-cf-xz6/2. Im perfectly happy with my canvas, its by far my favorite pc Iv ever owned. I keep my electronics to hand down to next generation as toys, so its nice having well built stuff. I do need another PC though, I might end up getting something on ebay for around 800 with 256gb drive first gen, new of course. The 15 inch is a bit of an oddity to me though, Iv always admired the 12-14 inch devices as there easy enough to haul around, so whats with all the craze of the 15 inch device. Im perplexed. Or I might try to save up for the 15 inch book and maybee catch a Microsoft store fire sale or something.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  5. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am to, it's like all of a sudden 15 in laptops are back in fashion.

jbaks likes this.
  6. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh, they were never out of fashion, it's just that the manufacturers temporarily lost their fashion-sense.

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The 15" is the full size SUV of the computer world that was once reserved for desktops only. More room, more comfort, MORE POWER in a frame you can still (easily) lug from work to home and back. Most businesses have continued to use 15" laptops, although they were chunkier and clunkier (look at the unending SKU's at HP, Dell, and Lenovo - more names and models than you can keep track of).

This is kind of the resurgence of the high end 15" form factor that Apple (MacBook Pro) and Dell (XPS 15) have dominated for several years now. What is TRULY fascinating is how much value and performance HP is packing into the Spectre line relative to the competition.

AND IF SOMEONE would ever release an 8" +/- companion device with Wacom EMR, the 15" supercomputers would rule the roost.

8. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

I remember, only 2 - 3 years ago people were screaming for bigger penabled devices and how much hype there was when Lenovo released their 14" ThinkPad Yoga! Or earlier the 15" Acer R7-572. And now look at the choice we have now :)

It's the opposite now, <12" devices are nearly inexistent.

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I HAVE THE ANSWER!

RADIO SHACK!

Yes, bring back Radio Shack with open parts bins, Lego style, and let us "build" the size and feature set we want - screens from 6" to 60"; batteries from AAAA to 12v car size; Wacom, N-Trig, Atmel - EMR or AES; RAM and SSD to our heart's content; cases from Glaxay Note 8 to the sewing machine "luggables" of old...

Nirvana

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I HAVE THE ANSWER!..>>

...Me, too. Skip that extra cup of coffee tomorrow morning...

stormi, Telstar1948, Bronsky and 5 others like this.