Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Offensive pricing strategy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

But did you check out that FreeDOS 2.0 option that drops the price by $193? o_O:D

dstrauss and okieiam like this.
  3. okieiam

okieiam Scribbler - Standard Member

haha :D Not far from what people expected

4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

It's embarrassing.

dstrauss likes this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Maybe that's the model they sell to the U.S. government...

President Whitmore: I don't understand, where does all this come from? How do you get funding for something (Area 51) like this?
    Julius Levinson: You don't actually think they spend $20,000 on a hammer, $30,000 on a toilet seat, do you?

okieiam and surfaceproartist like this.
  6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've not really been following this device's story.

Is there really $5000 worth of parts in that thing? Is it truly miles better than the bog standard?

Or is HP just nuts? (Planning for a plunge of the dollar value like all the paranoid savvy have been saying is inevitable for the last.., well since the 90's)?

I guess we have been living in an artificially suppressed value bubble wrt computers, and really ALL consumer goods, for a long time. I wouldn't mind so much a shift back to real values, but ONLY so long as manufacturers start making things which are built to last. (Not likely.) -And it would sure be nice to see things made again in the West.

Guess it's a good thing I've taught myself how to maintain the heck out of technology. Get your electronics tools and stock up on solder now while the Chinese are still accepting Amex.

okieiam likes this.
  7. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Full details review for the 15” version from AnandTech.

The Microsoft Surface Book 2 (15-Inch) Review: Second Time's The Charm

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12167/the-microsoft-surface-book-2-15-inch-review

Some basic observations.

1.CPU Conclusion

As we saw with the ASUS ZenBook 3, the move to quad-core in the U series of Core chips has been very welcome. The performance increase is impressive over the older dual-core models, and although the eight threads run into the thermal limit quicker than the do on the higher-wattage HQ series chips, such as seen in the Dell XPS 15, the Core i7-8650U is still a very strong performer.

2.The GTX 1060 is a massive improvement over the original GT 940MX based Surface Book, and moves it out of being somewhat better than integrated, into a laptop with some serious gaming potential. The performance difference on the most GPU demanding test, Fire Strike, over the GTX 1050 is also a huge leap

GPU Conclusion

The jump from the original GT 940MX found in the Surface Book, to the GTX 1060 in the Surface Book 2, is a massive increase in performance. The Surface Book 2 isn’t what most people would consider a gaming laptop, but the 15-inch model offers plenty of compute if you ever do want to game. For office productivity, apps that take advantage of CUDA, such as Adobe’s suite, should see some much-improved performance over almost any other productivity laptop. Really, to match the GPU performance in this laptop, you’d have to jump into the gaming notebook arena with something like a Razer Blade 14.

3.Display Conclusion

Microsoft continues to be the only major PC maker to color calibrate all of their devices, and the Surface Book 2 sets new levels for accuracy in a notebook. The display also has amazing contrast. It’s not difficult to add these together and say that the Surface Book 2 has the best display on any laptop

4.Speakers

Much like the new Surface Pro, the speakers on the new Surface Book 2 have improved in sound quality, offering stronger mid-range and bass levels than before. They sound remarkably good, for a notebook. The speakers are located in the display and are front firing, which likely helps with the sound as well. They don’t get overly loud, at around 74-75 dB(A) on our test track, but with the better sound quality that’s a good trade-off.

5.Final Words

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12167/the-microsoft-surface-book-2-15-inch-review/8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

thatcomicsguy and JoeS like this.
  8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

neohopper likes this.
  9. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

These machines are so damn expensive. I'm thinking of upgrading my beloved Z Canvas to a Surface Book with Performance Base, can't justify the cost of the SB2 with specs that I'd want.

JoeS likes this.
  10. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

Mr. Boosh likes this.