Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There’s an option through media player to watch at full screen without black bars.

For example bsplayer and many UWP media player also support full screen option.

MS too own movie and tv app support full screen option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Just a warning about the non-default video players--unless you are on wall power, don't use them when on battery. Anything besides the Movies and TV app will net you less than half the overall battery life. I found this out the hard way on a plane flight with my brother. We were using MPC-HC and it drained our batteries in about 5 hours flat. I did some reading and I found out its a general issue with all non-stock video players. Check out Gordon Ung's excellent article on it at PCWorld here. Here is the battery life graph from that article that tells the story better than words can:

[​IMG]
    Curious, I did some of my own investigation as well. I had always noticed how CPU usage was incredibly low in MPC-HC, lower than even the Movies and TV app by 1% to 2% (2% to 3% rather than 4% to 5%). So, I figured, if it was not the CPU that was chewing through the battery, it must be the GPU. My hunch then was something in 3D was being done inefficiently. Using Fall Creators Update's updated Task Manager with GPU utilization panel, I monitored 3D GPU usage while playing either an HD or 4K video. In MPC-HC, 3D usage was around 25% (HD) to 75% (4K). In Movies and TV, it was all the way down around 5% to 10% with both HD and 4K video. The likely explanation here is this: besides the generally light task of decoding the video, all the other video players are overworking the GPU when fitting the video to the display. The bottom line? The GPU is being needlessly overworked, eating up battery life. Whatever method these other players are using is terribly inefficient, as demanding as playing a beefy 3D game.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  3. alextrela182

Yes I know that but unfortunately MS own app lack many feature other third party offer.
    Also UWP player app it’s better than exe program as battery efficiency.
    There’s pretty much very good choices at store finding a good level of media player.
    I’m using this one as well.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/best-player/9wzdncrdpqsx?source=lp

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@sonichedgehog360 and @alextrela182 - this is a very interesting discussion considering that most all vendor battery tests quote times based upon video loops - so battery life claims are double synthetic? :rolleyes:

5. alextrela182

That’s right.

It’s very common between OEM for maximizing battery life for advertising purposes and competition between them to do it under very very specific usage but most people doesn’t necessary doing the same usage.

As for video watching I think majority of users(especially those want much more option and customization)using third party and much better media player and not the one that Windows device come out of the box witch is very poor and lacks many features third one having.

So in real life watching video is less than what MS or any other OEM said when talking about their product release and advertise.

Personally never never using MS own video app.

Is totally crap to my need.

6. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Most likely, haha. For iOS, it is probably no different. Apple likely tests video loops with their own built-in video player as well. Real world, with apps like Sling and PlayerExtreme Media Player, I noticed about half of Apple's claimed battery duration on my iPhone SE. For most people who just need to play a video and nothing more and want incredible battery life, the built-in Movies & TV app is the standard to beat (not crap in my experience). However, alextrela182 does bring up an interesting hypothesis: UWP players in general may be all-around more efficient. It would be interesting to see how other UWP players compare with the Movies & TV app in battery life.

7. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

Here is what I'm talking about -

Same Windows Insider Builds (Latest RS4 Fast) - Same Pen - Same version of OneNote UWP

Surface Book 2

[​IMG]

New Surface Pro

[​IMG]

8. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And you're seeing the same big difference with the pencil brush in Sketchpad?

9. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

It is working on Sketchpad as expected.... Weird

10. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Must be OneNote UWP not liking the SB2 then. At least that should be easily fixable.