Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm just totally speculating on this until the X2 comes out. But I'm guessing the extra size and thickness allowed HP to add the extra silicon for Thunderbolt 3 to be enabled. Now, could Microsoft have added that extra silicon to the dock since all the ports are there, that's something you'd have to ask them.

also, it says the keyboard for the X2 is Bluetooth.. so does it only use the pogo pins for power and uses Bluetooth as a connection? Thus eliminating the need for any physical data connections between the keyboard and the tablet , saving some PCI-E lanes?

2. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

I've yet to see any drain when doing software development, running visual studio and sql server on the SB2 and having it churn away on various functions. And that was with the dock connected, which we all know now has a smaller power supply than the included brick for the Surface Book 2.

I was able to play things like Skyrim and Civ 6 fine.. Granted not really intensive games as I save all my really intensive gaming on my GeForce GTX 1080 box.

3. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

Lol, just go to the Microsoft Store website and scroll down... clearly says (with pictures) "Office", "PC gaming", and "Windows Mixed Reality".... additionally read my prior posts, I'm getting battery drain with normal office usage using the dock on my 15" with simple background tasks and Office.

Having said that, with the provided power adapter things work great! My issues comes from the use of the Surface Dock... ie, they need to provide a new Dock solution, as the current one doesn't provide enough power to the 15" SB2.

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

The problem they have is that even with the provided power brick there is battery drainage with hard core gaming. But I agree, the Surface Dock should work with the SB2 as is when used for the things the Dock was designed for.

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

So now I'm curious, what happens if you put a heavy load on the CPU and GPU while using the desktop dock and you reach zero battery, does the system just shut off, or does it throttle to stay alive? The former would be moderately disruptive..

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm interested in line fidelity!

surfaceproartist posted a video (of another artist reviewer) on his blog site where he did the diagonal line test and something new came up which I've never seen before...

So.., it seems if your hand is touching the glass while drawing, you get the typical AES wobbles, but if your hand is not touching the glass, the line quality is really clean.

The reviewer didn't do a comprehensive test, doing different speeds over a consistent set of variables, but it looked pretty good. There was clearly a difference between hand-on and hand-off glass while drawing.

Is that the sort of thing you can solve by turning off touch but leaving on pen input..?

Anyway, it seemed like a cool new data point.

7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Gamers reports that the system throttles and this seems to happen as it approaches 20% battery level.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

JoeS likes this.
  8. xor01

xor01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Regarding battery drain while gaming in SB215, i read on notebookcheck review that it only happen when your game is set to high quality and requires the power management to be set at max performance.

Anyway, i agree that MS should implement TB3 instead of Surface Connect. I'm curious though, if TB3 is used as connector between the clipboard and the base, this means the base will perform like a eGPU box. And according to egpu reviews that i read, egpu performance is not that good.

Cmiiw...

9. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I just picked up a 15" Surface Book 2 and I'm using the dock. The device was at 50% battery Out of the box and I docked it as I updated the OS , Firmware and Drivers. After I installed Office 365. The dock charged it to 100% in about 45 minutes.

Running Insider Fast for both OS and Office

10. xor01

xor01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Guys, on the 1st gen (SB1, SBPB), we can put SBPB clipboard to SB1 base and SB1 clipboard to SBPB base.

I wonder if we can put SB1/SBPB clipboard to SB2 (13 and 15) base. Can anyone that have both devices (SB1/PB and SB2) test this?