Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Price in Europe starts at €1749, so we're in the usual normal range of conversion...

Edit:
    As a comparison the 15" 16gb 512gb should be around the range of the Mobilestudio 16".
    At that price though not including the pen is pure evil.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

No my good friends, that is a colloquialism, not a Freudian slip.

On the contrary, I have a HP Spectre x360 15" (8th gen, 16gb, 1TB, WinPro) being built and should ship 10/20, and waiting another few days for the 1TB SKU of the 13" version to be released, and they will be tested with one going back after I declare the winner. I know I've lusted after the Acer Switch 7, but I'm just not convinced on quality and design (besides the maybe in December release), and the HP design has really caught my eye. For my uses, they are every bit as good as the Dell XPS counterparts, but include pen support. Now it is more a case of deciding 13 vs 15 (both screen size and portability). Right now, the 13 really has my eye as a sub-3# powerhouse.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    Bronsky likes this.
  3. chongsen

chongsen Pen Pal - Newbie

15" tablet part is heavier than Surface pro. That concerns me a lot.

4. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

Glad to see they announced this and a very pleasant surprise! Appears I'm a bit more excited about it than a lot of you guys ha...

Finally getting a quad core CPU, very legitimate GPU options, USB-C (I don't own a single Thunderbolt device, nor have I even been tempted (nor why I'd need one) to buy yet so not concerned it's not included, but I do own some nice USB-C devices), better battery life, a new size option, and an included XBOX controller transmitter built in???.... WOOHOO!!!

I'm still loving my SB1, is a fantastic computer, but these improvements are exactly what I wished it had... I use my SB1 for work during the day in either laptop mode for office work or "clipboard" tablet mode walking projects with customers using the pen, but love firing up a game or two while traveling or chilling on the couch with the wife, so these are fantastic improvements for my usage.

Now to figure out how to convince my wife that I don't know why or how my SB1 looks bigger if I go with the 15" lol

Definite buy for me. :D

JoeS and Mesosphere like this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

2x Surface Connector?
    This had me puzzled at first but then the clipboard/screen is connected that way to the keyboard, right? (The first generation isn't generally available in Japan, so I haven't been able to see it IRL) Does this mean you can connect the dock directly to the screen?

6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Definite not buy for me, but only because I am happy with my SB1 and not lusting these days =P Maybe the SB3.

As for the 15" clipboard being heavier than SP, it has almost 50% more screen area. How could it not be heavier? Making it lighter than an SP would be quite the trick. The 13.5" screen was "only" about 18% bigger.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

soh5, Tams and Bronsky like this.
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Updated the first post with configurations and pricing. Up to $3300 for the maxed out model, and that is before adding MS Complete! :eek:

Mesosphere likes this.
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Yes, even the original SB Clipboard could be connected to the dock, or even just recharged that way. If they really have squeezed 5 hours (given the usual MS discount that comes to 3 hours 20 minutes real time) out fo the Clipboard that is the best improvement.

JoeS and Kumabjorn like this.
  9. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I imagine the i7/8/256 with Nvidia will cost 2200 euro.

But let’s be loud and clear that the only hardware configuration version worth for upgrading from entry level original Surface Book is the one with the quad core 8th generation cpu and 1050.

The entry level SB2 is totally useless as version.
    Dual core I5 U with no Nvidia for what for just 1 USB C.

No way.

Total Ridiculous.

If I could find the i7/8/1050 in a year from now for 1500 euro with huge discount I would consider buying it.

My original entry Book cost me 1170 euro(999 British pounds)from with a great deal at UK MS store February 2017.

But most of the case probably will wait SB3 and hope MS FINALLY give us thunderbolt support+ OLED screen.

That would be huge motivation for upgrading for me.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk Pro

10. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd love any of them being honest. I do, however, see the 1050 being a bit of a waste when it comes down to it. It's either a 1060 or stick with the standard Intel for low to mild gaming. A 1050 is supposedly around a 965m for gaming which means 1366x768 before reasonable fps hits.