Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Bergman

Bergman Pen Pal - Newbie

Sitting here writing this on my new 15". As fate would have it my cable modem died yesterday afternoon prompting a trip to BestBuy. I held the 15 and the 13 in each hand and was surprised that I did not mind the weight difference so I went ahead and got one. I have yet to do an indepth on battery life but for me at least this one is a total winner. Looks like my old Surface Book and my new Surface Pro will be handed down to coworkers.

I really do like the extra screen size a lot. As for the whole issue of this vs other flip arounds I think you have to go by use case on what works best. For me this gives me a solid laptop I can use during the day often without an external monitor needed now and a tablet I can use in bed at night for web surfing or reading on my Kindle app. Its perfect for that and I don't need more than a couple of hours doing that anyway. Using this in tablet mode is so nice to use in the hands even in a 15" size compared to the others and tablet in 16:9 is just not very eye pleasing.

In the end I happen to be one of the type of users that Microsoft made this device for and I am very pleased. One thing I will say is the screen wobble seems to be about the same as before, but that is a minor annoyance for me.

2. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

Please do and thanks! Shoot them to me at lisa at mobiletechreview dot com.

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Sounds great. While everyone's enjoying their giant SB2 I'm trying to be happy with a 12.5" 1080p matte 16:9 screen and an i5-5300U CPU (ouch) with integrated GPU. C'mon JoeS, think of the money saved! :confused:

dstrauss, Azzart and surfaceproartist like this.
  4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Here is what I'd like to know. Right now I'm using the Surface Pro 3 connected through the Surface Dock to three external monitors. When I unplug the dock the machine has a hissy fit for about a minute before it settles down.
    I'm thinking that with the SB2 you don't disconnect the dock you just release the screen/slate. Does that imply that the keyboard could still be used with external monitors through the Dock?
    That would actually be the perfect usage scenario for my personal needs.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Does that imply that the keyboard could still be used with external monitors through the Dock?..>>

...Think for a moment. Where is the CPU?

6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've actually toyed with a similar idea for my own (hypothetical) setup.

Assuming the keyboard base appears as a PCIe peripheral, it would theoretically be possible to use a (hypothetical ;)) Surface-to-TB3 adapter to connect the base as a keyboard/graphics dock with any TB3-enabled PC.

If only MS would open up the Surface connector spec for third party peripherals...

Kumabjorn likes this.
  7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

What's the chances we will get a WOA version of the SB in say a 11in size and 17 hours of battery life?

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

an 11-inch Pro would be more likely then a Book. But if they would just put a Core m7 in the 15 inch clipboard.....it would get way better battery life. And honestly given how well my GB10's Core M 3 is handling Clip Studio Paint......a 15-inch clipboard with a 8th gen M7/8GB & a USB-C would really hit a sweet spot. They could call it the "Surface Sketcher"

Or...now that I'm thinking about it.......couldn't they create a special power plan that holds the Book 2's 15w i7 tdp.....down to 4.5-6w Core M levels?.....and the restriction could only be unlocked when attached to the clipboard. It would lower "performance" in the clipboard portion...but it could still perform well and would double or even triple the battery life in the clipboard.

9. Bergman

Bergman Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm... got me thinking as i really dont need the extra horsepower most of the time. I might try and undervolt the CPU and see what happens

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm going to be in 4 hours of meetings today so going to try and just use the clipboard and see how long I can last. Going to turn down some power settings as I am just using onenote... will have the base on hand should I need to recharge though..

dstrauss likes this.