Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. perry59

perry59 Pen Pal - Newbie

One thing I would really love to see in a review, but likely will not, is the use of higher end 3D apps, i.e. solidworks, inventor and maya.
    There is lengthy discussion on the forums for those apps why gtx graphics is useless. However, I have run solidworks on a lowly gtx gaming card and it DID work.
    not great, but it did, so I would not call these cards useless. Microsoft themselves have said that you can do professional CAD on a surface book without actually naming the CAD program. These programs typically use OpenGL for their graphics language and the 1060 does support OpenGl, but the chip itself is probably not optimized for that.
    Still, one would think that a $3000 laptop would do a good job with CAD programs like microsoft says it will (unless they are using the etch-a-sketch simulator)

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...It's useful for me to know what y'all are doing so I can do a better job addressing your concerns and needs...>>

Lisa: One thing that you could do is to encourage Microsoft to get the lead out and issue the USB-C dongle that Panos promised us months ago. I'm not suggesting that as a cure for powering the tablet, but having the Surface connector with no way to use it on the go (except for power) is such a waste...

<<...Microsoft themselves have said that you can do professional CAD on a surface book without actually naming the CAD program...>>

Have you tried Moment of Inspiration? It's an interesting solid modeling system that works pretty well on tablets...

3. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

Sadly, I don't know if Microsoft listens to a word I say. Let's hope they do.

As for covering 3D modeling, I really do have to sit down over the holidays and learn how to do that with some competence. I'm a 2D artist, but not so adept with 3D.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

:rolleyes::):D:eek:
    Thumbs up.
    Mistress likes good students.

dstrauss and Azzart like this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Don't they send you review units?
    If they do that should be solid evidence that they are interested in what you have to say. But implementation takes time, especially in a company the size of Microsoft.

6. perry59

perry59 Pen Pal - Newbie

haven't even heard of it until now. Unfortunately, corporate says I have to use solidworks so I'm stuck with it. Trust me, If I could use inventor I would.
    Solidworks is the buggiest POS ever invented.

7. perry59

perry59 Pen Pal - Newbie

You wouldn't have to be an expert, just verifying that you could open a small assembly (less than 500 parts) and being able to manipulate it with reasonable speed would be a big plus.

8. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

Would anyone have a test file they'd be willing to share? I can't imagine how long it would take me to put 500 parts on a page (and wow, 500 parts is considered small??). See, I'm a newb :eek:

9. perry59

perry59 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd be willing to send you some interesting test files!

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I really do have to sit down over the holidays and learn how to do that with some competence, I'm a 2D artist, but not so adept with 3D...>>

...I'm not sure why, but the MoI website features odd, organic constructions rather the usual, engineering-oriented examples. Possibly they're trying to play up the app's capability to produce artistic shapes. But MoI is capable of doing engineering product models, too. While some may consider MoI 3.0 expensive at $295, it's actually very reasonably priced considering its capability. Cheaper apps lack real solid modeling power and professional apps like Unigraphics, Catea, KeyCreator are astronomically priced and use a subscription model to add insult to injury. There don't seem to be many middle level apps that have power and that aren't too expensive...

Check them out: www.MoI3D.com

Marty likes this.