Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...120 watts should be adequate...>>

...Not likely a flaw; more likely a designed-in limitation, probably to limit heat or avoid adverse battery conditions...

2. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

The problem is that the supplied adapter falls 18 watts short of that. It's 102 watts.

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Haha, duh! Time for another cup of coffee..

4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Woo, Lisa's posting...might that mean we're going to see a SB2 review soon? :) ;) ;)

(Can't wait! Love your vids! :thumbsup:)

5. MobileTechReview

The review is coming today, it took me a few extra days. More than usual to test since the machine wears so many hats- general high end laptop, art tablet and gaming laptop! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...More than usual to test since the machine wears so many hats...gaming laptop!..>>

I'm pretty sure that Microsoft is walking back the gaming laptop thing and slanting it more toward creation...

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. MobileTechReview

I'm pretty sure I had way too much fun playing Wolfenstein New Colossus and Overwatch on it for the last two nights. It's clearly not in the gaming laptop segment in terms of overall positioning, but it's still quite capable. Though for me personally, I prefer a GTX 1080 big and ugly gaming laptop because I'm (too?) hardcore. But there are many folks who are happy with GTX 1060 performance levels (and it is a good card).

8. xor01

xor01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, Lisa from MTR posting on this forum... since when?
    I never saw you in NotebookReview forum though.
    By the way, after using MSI GT80 for 2 years, I prefer to join the folks that happy with GTX 1060 performance (and smaller / light-weight laptops).
    Any chance MS will release bigger power adaptor?

9. MobileTechReview

I post here with some frequency and occasionally on Notebookreview forums. Been doing that for years, when I have time. I always like to see what you folks are interested in and like/dislike about devices.

No one will ever pry my MSI Titan Pro from my hands (until there's a newer and significantly better model of course). Like I said, I'm a little too hardcore :D.

No idea if MS will come out with a more adequate adapter. It's not like they have a massive pipeline of products, so it won't be easy for them to design, QA and throw one out there quickly. It was a lot easier for MSI, Asus and Alienware to ship folks one of their existing power supplies (already in production for other models), when they committed the same sin at various times.

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

OK guys and gals, homework: Lisa's review is up!