Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

With the Surface Book 2 out of the equation, what is the model that you really have your eye on?

2. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

I can’t say much else than wow. Got my 15” SB 2 and it’s fantastic. No issues to speak of. Working like a champ.

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Say hello to my little friend! [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have to admit after getting some play time with the 15-incher at Bestbuy....I'm certainly paying the Book2 more attention...more attention then even the Zbook and Switch7. Not even remotely in the market to buy a new device yet.....but in the next year, I am considering......a career & maybe location change......that may suit a more traditional laptop device with a nice big 15' 3/2 screen and comfy sized keyboard. Or at least thats what I tell myself to justify even thinking about getting this.

Unbox away early adopters.

surfaceproartist likes this.
  5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So the 3:2 aspect and larger screen may actually be a larger factor than you first thought? ;)

Back in the ZBX2 thread, everyone was saying how the ExpressKeys and kickstand trumped everything and the SB2 was totally off the radar.

But after actually holding the clipboard, now you see what I was getting at? :) 3:2 and that extra 1" makes so much difference when you're actually drawing up close/cradling the device.

I was impressed with even the SB1 clipboard drawing experience so much so, that I actually had the IPP 12.9" side-by-side and still basically left the IPP out to dry—the SB clipboard just felt that much better in the hand (and coming into the store, I was expecting the opposite!)

surfaceproartist likes this.
  6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It’s pretty pretty sweet!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well....for me at least.....with the career/location change I’m somewhat contemplating.....my main focus won’t be on art.....I mean I’ll still do some art as a hobby in my free time here and there, but my overall time for being able to produce art and commissions will....take a back seat for a while....significantly more so then the past few years have been.

The ZBook is.....Art First....laptop replacement second. The Surface Book....while greatly marketed to the creative market....its N-trig/pixelsenes tech.....does give me a bit of pause still despite improvements from nSP up. For Laptop needs First with the occasional art use the Book2 looks pretty damn perfect. But it’s mainly the 15 inch screen size. At the 13inch size, I’d almost rather opt for a Surface Pro or the Acer Switch 7. The large screen size and potential change in my computing needs are what makes the Book2 more attractive to me.

8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I guess what I was trying to convey was, even just purely as an art machine, I think the 15" 3:2 screen is such a boon for artists that they should really try holding the clipboard in the hand before assuming the ZBX2 will feel better for art.

For SB2 the tactile experience of detaching the clipboard and cradling up close for drawing is that unique—better than the IPP, SP, Z Canvas or any other slate PC that I've held (and I'm a slate affectionado! ;)).

It's something you wouldn't guess just looking at the specs and pictures.

9. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

First Impressions: Microsoft Surface Book 2 Convertible Review
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/First...rface-Book-2-Convertible-Review.263954.0.html

Preliminary Verdict

In review: Microsoft Surface Book 2. Test model courtesy of Notebooksbilliger.

Our initial impression of the new Surface Book 2 is decent after a couple of hours. The processor is significantly more powerful, especially in short load periods. That the maximum performance cannot be sustained for longer periods is not just a problem of the test model. The power consumption would be much higher than 30W for the full 3.9 GHz for all four cores, which is hardly possible to cool in a slim tablet. We can at least see the full 4.2 GHz in single-core scenarios.

The graphics card is a bit trickier. It is just slightly faster than the old GTX 965M in the original Surface Book and the fans in the keyboard unit are also clearly audible. We will still see how efficient the new Pascal GPU is.

The display is once again very good and the battery runtime is even longer than before. We will perform all the other benchmarks and measurements over the next couple of days and publish the full review.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Why are you putting a knife in me heart?!
    Aaah, at least I have Skyrim Vr to pass the months until I can lay a hand upon this machine.

Marty and surfaceproartist like this.