Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Personally never had in the past either current days with my surface issue with WiFi(owner last 3 years SP3/4 and latest 8 months owner of entry level Surface Book)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I agree...I've had every generation of Surface (through SP4) and the first Surface Book - the Marvell chipset in each was subject to WiFi setup and random disconnections, for some reason particularly with VPN's for me. YMMV, as others say it has been stable since a couple of months after the release of SP4.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...it seems a lot of people are bummed that the Wifi chipset hasn't changed (Marvell) because it had issues...Should I be concerned?..>>

...Maybe, but only mildly, I think. There's no question in my mind that Marvell's WiFi hardware solution is inferior to Intel's WiFi hardware solution from a speed and reliability standpoint. I run the nSP (Marvell, obviously) next to a VAIO Z Canvas (Intel), and the Z Canvas is consistently faster and appears (this is just my impression, not backed up with actual data) to be more solidly connected to my router. However, the nSP's WiFi performance is only a little less fast and I have no specific complaints about its connectivity, even though the Z Canvas somehow seems a bit better. Unlike dstrauss, I have not had WiFi issues with either my SP4 or my nSP and I would say that, after an extended period, Microsoft has finally worked out the integration issues with the Marvell hardware. So going forward, I would not be specifically concerned about the WiFi on the SB2. HOWEVER, that is not to say that the SB2 might not have other hardware / software teething problems; Microsoft is slowly getting better with this, but they still seem to have an above average number of launch problems with their hardware.

PS: I find it interesting that no one ever seems to ask WHY Microsoft continues to use the Marvell hardware. I think it's because Microsoft is focused on maximum battery operating time and they believe that the Marvell hardware uses less power (maybe significantly less power) than Intel's hardware. In general, radios of all types (WiFi, UHF, HF, SATCOM, etc.) use a lot more power than one would imagine. It's for this reason that tablet makers are careful about how WiFi is implemented in their designs and why BlueTooth was designed from the get-go to be a low power, short range communications system...

alextrela182, DRTigerlilly and Azzart like this.
  5. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone have any idea when the SB2 reviews will drop?

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Given that the official release date is 11/16/2017 and the 'ship by' date is 11/17/2017, I would think we should start seeing reviews late this week or early next week.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I would think we should start seeing reviews late this week or early next week...>>

I agree with JoeS. The reviews will be released coincident with the introduction, the infamous "First Hands On..." reviews!

8. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Who here is tired of the unboxing videos? I am.

Nothing interesting when a person literally unboxes the contents from a box and makes a video out of it. Please dont call that content creation.

/rant

Kumabjorn, dstrauss, perry59 and 2 others like this.
  9. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I maintain, that most reviewers don't use the devices for long enough or have enough exposure or knowledge of the tech to give real advice.

Azzart, soh5, dstrauss and 2 others like this.
  10. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

15-inch Surface Book 2 incoming today.