Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For some reason all the Best Buys are only stocking the Pro 4 Pen (with the higher IAF HB nib) with all the current Surface devices. And there was no graphic software of any sort to test (Not even sketchable, and no internet connection)....so the pen performance from what I could tell is really the same as the default Pro 4/nSP level.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Given the sucky keyboard on the MBP, it is baffling, but the Apple faithful (this iPhone X user included) follow the siren call of our masters...

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  3. c-le-prof

c-le-prof Pen Pal - Newbie

So I preordered a 13 inch model! I'm currently on a Fujitsu Lifebook with Wacom EMR, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how the pen compares. The pen on my current machine writes so smoothly but often the pen tip and the cursor or where it actually writes on the screen don't match up just right.

This isn't specific to the Surface Book in any way, but what are good ways to clean the screen and also to preserve battery life? Can it be harmful to use an eyeglasses cloth with a spray of eyeglasses cleaner, or something like that? I'm always cleaning the screen on my Lifebook and it's weird there are specs of dust that have accumulated behind the screen. And with the battery, is it generally good to charge it up, use it unplugged and let the battery drain, charge it again, let it drain, in that cycle? If playing a game for a couple of hours should you plug it in? Is it best to not use the laptop for a long duration of time plugged in to the charger, or do these things not matter?

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Can it be harmful to use an eyeglasses cloth with a spray of eyeglasses cleaner...>>

...No, that should be perfectly OK. However, I would avoid cleaners that contain any significant amount of ammonia. I use ROR, an optical lens cleaner that contains a trace amount of ammonia but is also remarkably effective.

You will also find that simply dry wiping with a clean microfiber cloth is also pretty effective.

<<...is it generally good to charge it up, use it unplugged and let the battery drain, charge it again, let it drain, in that cycle?..>>

...See this discussion thread for considerations on how to maximize the life of your battery (spoiler alert: use the batteries, as you suggest!):

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/maximize-your-batterys-life.72808/

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I have used a small spray of Windex on a paper towel for over a decade. I've seen no harmful effects, even when I previously used a screen protector.

6. xor01

xor01 Pen Pal - Newbie

I uses Cajuput Oil to clean LCD screen (phones, tv, laptop). it can safely removes dust, wax, dirt, fingerprint, and other sticky substances from lcd screen without making a scratch.
    It can even remove glue residues (peeling stickers from your laptop for example).

7. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wouldn’t expect until earlier 2018 for European release.
    So better sit back and have patience.:p

[​IMG]

I’m using this for cleaning my Surface Book,iPad and my smartphone.
    No any any kind liquid material.
    1 time in a month I washed it with simple soup and leave it for drying before I use it again with my 3 device mentioned.

It’s very effective and simple way of cleaning from dust,dirt and fingerprint magnet footprints.

As for the battery better when going to 25-35% put the charger.
    Do not let it go below 25%.

Also avoid using it while being charged at 100% and still plug in.

Personally following this guide for maximum battery performance long time usage.

https://www.lovemysurface.net/surface-battery-life-how-to-maximize/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  8. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Microsoft has changed their U.K. page to say 'up to nvidia 1050'. Phew. That might save them a couple of headaches with returns.

9. c-le-prof

c-le-prof Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey thank you for the answers to my questions about screen cleaning and battery life.

Hmm... looking at this post from Reddit...
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/co...ng_surface_book_2_the_most_powerful/?sort=new
    ... it seems a lot of people are bummed that the Wifi chipset hasn't changed (Marvell) because it had issues in the first-generation Surface Book. Have any of you used/owned the first Surface Book? Should I be concerned? I'm a little worried now. I don't want to deal with crappy wifi.

10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

it's had issues in every single iteration of the Surface...