Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Actually an Nvidia issue at the core, "improper enumeration during UEFI assertion" . Not exactly sure what that means, but apparently it was broken from the get-go and when MS fixed a couple of bugs in their firmware, it exposed that flaw.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I just love the way the MAY release is dated 1903...kind of the spirit of the length of time to squash their own bugs...

siddhartth likes this.
  3. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

So I decided to try out the "Battery Limit" mode of the Surface Book 2 13.5"; as I tend to have the device plugged in a lot, and worry about the battery.
    Unfortunately microsoft does not let you set a percentage that you want to limit charging at... it is 50% with battery limit on or 100% otherwise and no other options. It also is a UEFI option so it is not quick and easy to toggle without rebooting the machine. I get if they consider this a "Kiosk" mode that 50% is ideal; but from a perspective of massively increasing longevity of the battery; while also providing reasonable battery life a 70-90% charge cap would be so much better. Anyways; besides the point.

I figured I could get used to a 50% battery cut if I could feel comfortable leaving it on the charger all the time without hurting it. as my meetings are usually not more than an hour or two.

Unfortunately it does not work as expected for the base portion of the device. The base still charges to 100% even with battery limit mode enabled. so you have a base with 100% and a tablet with 50% with this mode enabled.

Seriously Microsoft? just program a 80% limit for both batteries that we can actually use and toggle from within the OS; why make it such a disaster? I'd almost prefer they didn't even have the option as it is an embarrassment.

JoeS likes this.
  4. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

Wait a minute...since when does the SB2 13'' supports that? I was waiting for a long time for that feature, but everytime I took a look at the changeloges and looked in the UEFI it wasn't there. I activated it for my SP3 and SP4 before.

5. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

According to this document: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-for-surface-devices-plugged-in-for-long-time
    as of Oct 10th. 2019

I guess to be fair.... I just realized that document does mention "Note This feature currently only applies to the battery in the detachable clipboard."

Just kind of sucks... your choice is:

A) Not plug in your surfacebook very often for fear of having the bulging battery issue; the fact you fear leaving it plugged in making it hard to trust it as your always on computing device docked at your desk.

B)Enable battery limit; and still be worried about having a bulging base battery; and also not have enough battery for the clipboard when you pop it off.

I'm not sure which is worse. I'm thinking option B.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Seriously Microsoft? just program a 80% limit for both batteries that we can actually use and toggle from within the OS...>>

...Amen.

7. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

The Galaxy Book2 thankfully supports that :)

Ah very nice! Thank you. At least one part finally supports it. I have my SB2 plugged in 90% of the time actually. So it's good to see they added support for that :)

8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

On their older devices they actually refer to that feature as "kiosk mode" in the UEFI.

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

JoeS and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  10. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My original Surface book is getting long in the tooth, would have loved to upgrade to the SB2 15" but for this Wuhan virus thing and it's economic impact.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

cbutters, dstrauss and Bronsky like this.