Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm sorry seeing others have the luck I have had lately - I have the exact same reaction - I am getting too old for this s***.

desertlap and Azzart like this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I sometimes wonder if it isn't tech itself. I cant count the number of times I've bought something and go through this cycle.

A. First Blush: In love with the new device "finally what I was looking for! "
    B. A bit later: "well it's pretty great overall even though I don't care for...."
    C. Finally: "well I own it, but if anyone fixes this and that, I'll switch or upgrade"

And the secret is there is always someone waiting with a product in what looks like category a. but really is another category c...…

paprikaleapt and JoeS like this.
  3. dstrauss

Or maybe it's just the 21st century version of the American Sportsman "thrill of the hunt" but the meat ain't worth eating....

nnthemperor and Azzart like this.
  4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

To be fair I do still love it after a year, it's hard for me to let it go.
    I just have to be honest to myself though: I don't have enough free time to do all those things I would love to do with it and don't see me having any in the foreseeable future.
    So a drawing and consumption only machine is something that serves me better for now.
    Aaah, the joys of parenthood! :rolleyes:

paprikaleapt and nnthemperor like this.
  5. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

I wonder though.

There is something to be said about the glowing feeling of using a new device, especially if it's a neat form factor/looks different.

Recently the galaxy note 8'd UI updated as you probably saw. At the exact same time, I finally removed my battery cover and realized how thin/light the galaxy note 8 is. These two changes made the device seem new and I got some of that "new device glow" feeling despite the device being maybe a year old.

I do think when you get an ipp 12.9 you'd probably get that glowing feeling. My surface book 2 no longer gives me that feeling, except sometimes when I use it in tablet mode after having kept it in laptop mode for a few weeks.

hiramkey and Marty like this.
  6. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

What is the best anti glare / reflection screen protector for the surface book 2 15 inch? I use the device on my bus and the reflections can be pretty bad

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...What is the best anti glare / reflection screen protector...>>

@paprikaleapt : I haven't been watching the screen protector market for a while, but I think that Photodon still represents one of the better sources for a range of screen protectors with varying degrees of anti-glare. In particular, for $5 you can order a sample pack of several film types so that you can see and feel the effect that each film type would have on your display. In the past, I have published my own subjective comments about the different film types but, of course, YMMV. In the past, I've also liked NuShield's Dayvue:

Photodon: https://www.photodon.com/
    Sample packs: https://www.photodon.com/c/film-samples.html
    Dayvue: https://www.nushield.com/dayvue_antireflective_screen_protector_film.php

These aren't the only games in town, but many other current screen protectors are tempered glass (0.33mm with smooth, reflective surfaces). Unfortunately, these will do nothing for your glare problem. There's no technical reason that I know of that would prevent someone from offering a matte finish glass screen protector, but interestingly, I've never seen one (doesn't mean that they don't exist; just means that I haven't seen one). Finally, there are other brands of film screen protectors that offer things like "paper-like feel:"

https://www.amazon.com/Honeymoon-Pr...r&qid=1563717584&s=gateway&sr=8-71-spons&th=1

Unfortunately, I have no experience with this brand, hence I can't comment on it.

8. dellaster

dellaster Technomad Senior Member

They’re pretty rare. I could only find one matte tempered glass screen protector supplier each for my iPhone SE and iPad mini 5. Both show up on an Amazon.com search, if anyone is interested.

I love, love, LOVE them! But the one for my iPad doesn’t provide any noticeable friction for the Pencil, alas. I think you need a film type for that.

9. dstrauss

Hey Ted - new avatar?

10. dellaster

dellaster Technomad Senior Member

Just temporary until I find one I like. Kitty passed away so I don’t want the reminder.