Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No I don't. It's just one user account.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

paprikaleapt likes this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

paprikaleapt and bloodycape like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm out of the SB2 game (big surprise) because that Clipboard just doesn't cut it (alone) for note taking, and despite the improvements in iOS versions of MS software, I still have to lug the SB2 with me if I have any "real" computing to do along the way. So the GB12 Heavy will be here tomorrow (8gb/256gb). Here's some observations I shared with a friend - and why I end up back in the SAME PLACE every time I do all this nonsense:

Yes, the GB12 will be here tomorrow (Saturday). I'm just going to sit tight for a while. Nothing out there excites me; even my backup GB12 Lite runs circles around the Surface Go and Folio, and have I ever gushed about how gorgeous the OLED screen is, even compared to the SB2 15" Pixelsense? Not to mention that incomparable feel of the Wacom EMR nib on glass.

Don't understand why I continue to stress myself trying out different systems (other than Einstein's definition of insanity). When I am brutally honest with myself, when it comes to productivity software there is NO observable difference in performance between the GB12 with 8gb of RAM and any newer device I've tried. It's that extra 4gb of headroom that trumps the GB12 Lite when I have a real load going (half-dozen Word and/or Excel windows going; dozen Chrome windows, Outlook, OneNote, and Adobe Acrobat Pro DC all churning at the same time).

Forget 16-core i9 - the real processor need for us "normal" folks is getting Intel Y and QC ARM all running super efficient with 2017 Core i5 level performance. How's that for a bizarre thought from the computer world's version of Tim Taylor?

I would kill for a solid performing Y class Galaxy Book 2 (kickstand), 16gb, 512gb, 4gLTE, and the GN9 S-Pen tucked away in the frame. I swear on my ancestor's graves that would be the end of my journey!

DRTigerlilly, nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

It's a sign of getting older :D It also sounds like you're ready to join the boohoo nothing new thread.

lovelaptops and nnthemperor like this.
  6. dstrauss

I am over there right now scouting the territory...

JoeS and nnthemperor like this.
  7. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Good luck Dale with your next purchase in a week.

You'll find that "territory" very uninteresting and return to this fun land of adventure in no time.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

JoeS likes this.
  8. dstrauss

The "next" purchase is already here - back to the GB12 Heavy. All the travails over the last twelve weeks have shown me the 2017 i5 is the benchmark to match for my workflow - with 8gb of RAM there's plenty of overhead for any number of productivity windows you need. The GB12 OLED screen is better than ANY of the 4k LCD's I've played with - more vibrant, brighter, crisper, just a visual pleasure. Wacom EMR - how many times do I need to praise that.

I am SOOOOOO disappointed that Samsung took the GB down the WOA track - we NEED, we DESERVE, a GB13 (yes 13" screen in 12" body) in the new GB frame with:
    • up to 16gb RAM
    • up to 1tb SSD (but I'd be cool with 512gb)
    • 4g LTE (UNLOCKED - no more "exclusives")
    • two Thunderbolt 3 ports
    • yellow S-Pen in a silo; full size as an accessory
    THAT would be an instant burn on my AMEX....

9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I resemble that remark :p. Next time I start a new thread I will definitely consult you for an appropriate title!:D

JoeS likes this.
  10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Seems like such a no-brainer! Even if they went part-way - leave the screen at 12" if its necessary to keep tooling investment down - what an obvious and seemingly low cost way to turn this model into a superstar with wide appeal. Personally, I can't see why they couldn't use the GB2 form factor so you get the kickstand, but it's frustrating that both Samsung and MS stop short of easy, cheap upgrades to devices to just remove the "if only" from models which are good/ok but could so easily be excellent/just what the market needs. Love to be in the room when product managers kick around ideas and decide: "yeah, let's just leave these things frozen in time (changes Dale suggests for GB12, crying need for TB3 ports on Surface models, same for LTE on those that lack it, bigger battery and stronger cpu for Surface Go); why bother to make these easy, cheap upgrades that most competing devices have and would make our already good offerings great, probably boost market share by 2-5%. Maybe next year, or the year after that." :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    DRTigerlilly and dstrauss like this.