Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Yes, I do have the account, and it is not listed among the keys from many other generations of long lost devices...

Azzart likes this.
  2. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for looking into it Azzart. Glad yours is working for you. Do you have Bitlocker installed perchance?

This time I tweaked nada. Left it however it was configured (from IT). All I did was import my brushes. I think the 'group policy' that the machine comes with from IT is high performance by default.

But it shouldn't matter, it should be able to run PS in it's sleep. I'm doing my work right now on a four year old Haswell i5 with integrated Intel Iris 5100 graphics. I'm working happily away on the exact same piece with the exact same brushes that caused the SB2 to totally lock up. How is this even possible? Even if all I have to do is tweak the proper settings to set things right, the question I gotta ask is this: why is 'terrible performance' available via settings? What kind of madness is this?

3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

@YVerloc
    I don't have a certain answer to why it doesn't work properly, I can only share my findings and make some hypothesis...

Two things are certainly true in my knowledge:
    - you can't use drivers from Intel or Nvidia, only the ones coming from Microsoft. Any non Microsoft driver for the gpus will screw the machine, making it run poorly and too hot.
    -you can't really make use of the Nvidia gpu while the machine is in "drawing mode" (screen reversed and closed as a tablet). The gpu in the base gets hot pretty fast and the base will blow out hot air from the top of the keyboard directly to the back of the unit making it difficult for the system to cool down as it normally would. Which means the system will have to throttle down performance to keep temperatures tolerable.
    For the same reason gaming performance varies a lot if you're using the device open as normal laptop instead of having the screen reversed and tilted toward the keyboard.

Let's say that since I plan to do a video review of this machine when I find the time, the more I find what's good and what's bad the better it is for me. :)
    I did some research and it seems you're not the only one afflicted by bad performance with Adobe Products on this machine.
    I'll try to spend more time with Photoshop to see if I can find more.

Edit:
    Regarding bitlocker I think it is active since I've seen today on my Microsoft account that there's a restore key for this device available.

YVerloc likes this.
  4. perry59

perry59 Pen Pal - Newbie

Amazon is knocking about 500 bucks off the maxed out 15 incher, whats up with that?

5. dstrauss

Shows up about $350 off on my screen, but a nice deal (pays the sales tax at least).

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It's what I love most about living next to Delaware … no sales tax.

7. dstrauss

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

8. perry59

perry59 Pen Pal - Newbie

No sales tax here in Oregon either.
    'course now , on the internet, I guess you have to pay tax for the state that sold it :(

9. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

New problem, so new video.

This time a rant for how Lazy Nezumi (an utility that allows using several technical drawing tools in your preferred painting software) runs poorly on the Surface Book 2: 70-80% gpu usage compared to the 30-35% running it on the poor Galaxy Book 10.6.
    I would be fine even if it stayed at such high percentage, problem is after some time everything became buggy and mortally slow, to the point it's impossible to work until I quit Lazy Nezumi.

Sometimes I wish I bought a Dell XPS 15.
    Other times I'm almost tempted to sell it and downgrade to this:
    https://store.hp.com/ItalyStore/Merch/Offer.aspx?p=b-zbook-x2#PIB
    that i7 7500U and the smaller screen though...

kneehowguys likes this.
  10. dstrauss

I can't put my finger on any one program, but that has begun to be a real problem on the SB2, which I have sent to the back bench for now.:
    • Sometimes rolls to a crawl with just Word, Chrome, and Excel open
    • Sometimes really bogs down in watching a video podcast like Windows Weekly (may be Leo's fault there as he puts people to sleep with his Windows snark)
    • Has bogged down on big file transfers between laptop and cloud based Sharepoint
    I would rant at Windows Updates about all this - BUT - the old GB12 and newer nSP LTE aren't showing the disease - YET (knock on wood - although N-Trig wonkiness on the nSP is driving me crazy).

YVerloc likes this.