Surface 4 - PLEASE Be a Surface Air

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

If I was the.design chief or CEO of Apple today you would have a proper Apple version of the surface Pro but without the negative elements of the windows and without the problems with the OS updates which windows has.
    I want Apple to continue with steve Job's design philosophy in a limited way but make a more relavant pen PC today rather than making a squarish stupid 12.9 inch piece of glass.

A 3:2 screen and not 4:3 is the best for a large screen tablet.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Yet Microsoft STILL can't deliver a sleep mode that works even most of the time. I don't get hot bagging, but you cannot close the SP4 keyboard and open it up hours later without battery loss and/or waiting for it to come out of hibernation.

And where is the one pound Surface Air?

How about a driver to automatically connect to smartphone hotspot?

Care for annual updates of your OS delivering what is promised at a developer conference 4-6 months before the OS release?

Maybe a Windows phone to compliment your Windows tablet/laptop?

Yes, Microsoft is delivering some great devices, but the OS is getting to be a bit of a disaster - kind of like watching Windows XP morphing into Windows (not)ME.

Aman likes this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I've actually been a bit surprised at how well Apple is holding its own competing with the revitalized Windows 2 in 1s. Its full OS notebooks are ancient designs. The IPad Pro has fatal limitations. Yet, they both are still selling well in a highly competitive market.

dstrauss and Aman like this.
  4. Aman

The surface pro is designed for real computational thinking.The surface Pro is very useful device for many unlike iPad Pro in most cases and hence it's selling so well inspite of few problems.

Frankly I don't think 12.9 inch version iPad Pro is selling so well.

Majority of consumers brought the 9.7 inch iPad Pro and probably only some of them brought Apple Pencil with it .

The iPad Pro 9.7 was like a successor to iPad air for many .Most of the users who have brought iPad Pro 12.9 have brought it for the stylus and not necessarily as a laptop replacement.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  5. dstrauss

@Bronsky - I am too, but then I look around at my own anecdotal evidence, and see lawyers using them everywhere (including a 12.9 and two 9.7's that showed up in our office last week), and my new son-in-law's assertion that they are going strong in medical school despite the pure power of the Surface Pro 4 he uses.

@Aman - I'm not sure how you define "real computational thinking" but I believe the Surface Pro is purely overkill for many, if not the majority, of users. I grew up in the legal world that for years survived on IBM Selectric typewriters, and the 86, 286, 386, and Pentium based devices of yore held a fraction of the computational power and storage of a 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 which goes up to 512gb. We managed to close monster commercial deals, and conduct multi-million dollar lawsuits, on far less. The multi-tasking ability of the system was a terminate and stay resident popup window that could display a notepad, calculator, maybe even a simple database. Windowing and multi-tasking was miles behind the split screen of even iOS 10, much less the far better offerings of iOS 11. For many years now (going back to even Windows XP) we've been using artillery to kill flies for the vast majority of users. I cringe every time a I read a reviewer who proclaims the likes of the Surface Laptop is adequate for email, web surfing, and light Word/Excel documents :mad: - we could launch and run the entire Apollo 11 moon landing mission with just one of these.

Do I prefer the speed, power, flexibility (2 big screens) I'm using right now with my SP4 - OF COURSE. Could I get by without them - CERTAINLY. But the real dividing line, and true death knell for laptops and 2-in-1, will be if Apple chooses to add mouse support to iOS 12 and replaces the lightning port with USB-C, even if it is not Thunderbolt, because then you can hook up real monitors and other peripherals to the iPad Pro and forego the laptop. In fact, look for a new Smart Keyboard in the next two years with a track surface across its face to give you trackpad like performance that you get from the onscreen keyboard.

Why do you think Microsoft is killing itself to get EVERYTHING into the cloud, so it can be a service for ANY device, not just Windows based machines?

PS - my SP4 hot-bagged again last night (unplugged it at home, put it in my briefcase, and this morning the fans were racing and you could cook eggs on the metal backside) - punishment for speaking ill of Microsoft I assume...:rolleyes:

Aman likes this.
  6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

7. Aman

I agree with you.
    But well only a engineer with a design thinking element as well as a researcher knows why a surface pro is better for computational thinking.
    I wanted surface pro 3/4 well before 10 years of its availability-it just fits me,the iPad doesnot.

I have grown up with windows not IBM computers or NEXT so I do not know about them.

Yes surface pro is a costly device but it is definitely the future windows PCs,we will getting cheaper high quality surface like devices soon.

The surface pro is overkill for the pocket,but it helps me better than any desktop too and hence it's worth it for me.I need a digital pen for my work.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  8. dstrauss

Aman likes this.
  9. Aman

Ya!These are the points to be noted.

Ya it's true that due to glitches like this, we sometimes look for a better alternative OS but there is no better alternative for my workflow.

And windows 8.1/10 is something to be a fan of!- love what Windows delivers in Pen computing.

Although not ever yet been a Ubuntu user,I am waiting for long for a Ubuntu version of surface pro with pen support, given Ubuntu would now support continuim.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  10. Aman

Videos on computational thinking and how surface and Microsoft is changing computing Paradime.

https://youtu.be/qaOvHKG0Tio

https://youtu.be/SKpKlh1-en0

For these reasons I said that Microsoft is truly a computjbg company unlike Apple and I am a Microsoft/surface fan.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017