Surface 4 - PLEASE Be a Surface Air

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

Kind of related but may be a little off topic. I have been taking notes for grad school on tablets for the last 3 years, on EMR, synaptics, and now aes on the miix 700. A few days ago I had to handwrite a full page with pen and paper, and by the end my hand was hurting. That is when I realized how even the aes has a much lower initial activation force than regular pen and paper, and caused me to wonder why we complain about IAF at all. No matter how bad it is, it seems to be lighter than natural analog media. I'm not an artist so take that for whatever that is worth.

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I know the feeling. I'm not sure though if it is IAF that causes the fatigue or drag resistance. I am one that actually likes the slipperyness of tablet screens for this reason. Once you learn to adjust to the lack of drag it requires a lot less effort for long inking sessions. That said, I think IAF (as long as it isn't extreme) is mostly an artist concern. As a note taker I've never had a problem with the IAF on any tech I've owned.

nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
  3. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Samsung probably has come up with the perfect surface we have been waiting for.

And we now have a full sized 0.7mm tipped Spen with tilt. I bet the IAF is near zero too and sampling rate above 250 HZ (it was 300HZ in the little note7 itself).
    I am regretting my Surface pro 4 purchase and it's been just 4 months.

Samsung has emerged as the king of hardware. Only if samsung agrees to drop the touchwiz skin from it's android offering. We will have a perfect companion device for the Samsung Galaxy book in the upcoming Note phone. Skins for Android and Bloatware on windows have both long outlived their utility.

On top of that, it already comes with -
    • A good keyboard cover that you don't have to buy separately
    • A headphone jack
    I am sick and tired of purist view of technology - this apple-google-microsoft thing that - it's better when a single company makes the hardware and software both. We have seen no visible advantage of this phenomenon for the prosumers. This strategy has a single purpose of making crowd pleasing machines with huge sacrifices - an iPhone phone without a headjack, a Surface without wacom, a pixel without waterproofing. And a premium price for suboptimal performance.

As a person who has to daily write for long hours with my own hand at work, transitioning, in the evening, from even the cheapest ballpen and paper to a SP4, is a wrist aching downgrade.

Slipperiness and thickness of the nib in Apple pencil is my major concern with Apple pencil. (Besides the uncomfortable weight distribution). Surface pen and Pre-Note5 EMR digitizers feel just a little better than wax crayons when it comes to writing.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

6. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Marty, darkmagistric and Tonitti like this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So they go thru all the effort to make a special S-pen that physically looks like an Actual Pencil......And they still didn't put an Eraser on it....WTF

The Pink stub eraser is a hallmark of the traditional pencil....and with EMR tech...adding that would be so easy, logical, and functional......but still they didn't go for it.....

soh5, Koryand'R, nnthemperor and 2 others like this.
  8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

In all of the shots it looks like the end is covered by a tether of some sort (for charging?). It could be hidden underneath... :p

Honestly, I am more concerned if the nibs will be replaceable, and if there's a button?

I mean one side switch on the S-Pen is bad enough, but lose both? That I cannot abide with, no matter how much I love German engineering tools. :D

9. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Marty , that's just theft protection. ;)

Sadly, underneath there isn't any eraser either:
    [​IMG]

siddhartth and Marty like this.
  10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Maybe that pencil is to be Samsungs direct answer to Apple Pencil.....you know for the apple fans who drank the "Simplicity" cool aid.....no confusing buttons.....it just works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.