Surface 4 - PLEASE Be a Surface Air

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Apr 20, 2016.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

First, at tip of the hat to Meso over at Poll: Which Surface is for you? - he started the discussion of a Surface Air, but I want to go further.

MS needs a real answer to the new iPad Pro 9.7 (I'm even going to stop my childish iPad Semi-Pro rants for this thread). The form factor is truly amazing and perfect for a moleskin/yellow pad replacement. However, it is a tap dancer; every touch of the pen to the screen creates an audible "tap" which is a non-starter for meetings, classes, courtrooms, board rooms, just about any meeting environment. It also skips and slides on the glass all due to an over-hard pen tip, like the old HP Slate 500. It may be great for artists, but for note-takers it cannot hold a candle to the Surface Pro 4 pen.

Now, envision that same iPad Pro 9.7 running Windows 10 and having the Pixelsense technology - NOW we are talking. They would have to use USB-c (hurrah!) and it would be great if it were SSD, but I'd even take eMMC in that form factor. The difference in size between it and the Surface 3 is very tangible and could be the perfect note taking device (although I would listen - intently - to arguments for a Surface mini if the same dimensions as an iPad Mini 4 - I don't want the extra mm's of thickness - sorry, but snob appeal is crucial).

What do you all think?

sonichedgehog360 and thierryb like this.
  2. soh5

soh5 Surface or Bust Senior Member

Surface 4 - No USB ports. Just two type C ports and a TB3 port, get rid of the eMMC storage for a better solution and toss in a m3.

That would get my money. Granted it doesnt have Connected Standby issues. :)

3. dstrauss

But if they do all that, it will not be iPad Pro 9.7 size, and that is my stake in the ground.

4. dstrauss

I'm going to "off-topic" my own topic for a moment because I feel so impassioned about this:

THE APPLE PENCIL IS NOT FOR NOTE-TAKERS.

Sorry iPad lovers (and I like the iPad - still regularly use an Air 2 for Netflix and Texture - magazine reading), but the Apple Pencil is a very poor note taking alternative.Granted, it is the best stylus ever for the iPad, and perhaps it is a great alternative for artists, as my art skills stop at stick figures, BUT IT IS NOT A NOTE TAKER'S UTENSIL:
    • Top heavy - it is a struggle to keep it from feeling it is not falling backwards out of your hand
    • Tap Dancer extraordinaire - it is one of the NOISIEST pen tip on glass sounds around
    • No way to erase (by button or flipping over as an eraser)
    • Slides way too much on the glass (that hard pen point)
    • Even worse than the Surface Pen in the "lose it" category - no clip, no magnet, not even a loop
    • It's way too heavy for it's length (part of that top-heavy problem)
    Sorry to be such a downer, and I KNOW pens, especially digital, are a true expression of personal preference, but I have been note taking with a digital pen since 2007, and I can tell you this is not anywhere near the holy grail of note taking devices. I have really lost all respect for tech reporters (there wasn't much there to begin with) who have lauded or even just recommended the Apple Pencil over the Surface Pen for note taking of any kind...

siddhartth and HeavyHanded like this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Let me quote a wise man:
    This wise man forgot to add Thunderbolt and pen storage, and was rather modest on RAM, but otherwise good specs!

6. dstrauss

Well, he's gotten even wiser in the interim realizing that Intel is not up to the task (even with Skylake) so I gave up on SSD, Thunderbolt 3 and no bezel - I'd take 'em IF AND ONLY IF it is iPad Air size.

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, I'm really starting to get antsy about upgrading my Pro 2 (which restarts itself sometimes from moving the device - can't figure out if it's the kickstand or the keyboard causing problems). It works for now, but it's showing its age.

~10", Core M, 2xUSB-C, pen, and 4GB RAM would be enough for me. I could even make do with 128GB if I had to, though I prefer 256GB. I'd love the Pro 3 & Pro 4 kickstand, but even just a 3 position one is 'good enough'. And let's get face scanning in there. If Intel can get a Realsense camera in a Compute Stick, Microsoft can put it in a smaller tablet. At the very least, a fingerprint scanner on-device.

Personally though, I need a Type Cover.

bloodycape and JoeS like this.
  8. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So @dstrauss, the major thing holding back the m3 Surface Pro 4 from your consideration set is the display size?

9. barnesgj

barnesgj Scribbler - Standard Member

How long did you use it?

10. dstrauss

No - it is overall size and thickness - the form factor of my SPro 4 is about two iPad's thick and half-again wider.

Just a couple of days, but wrote a bunch of notes in that time. @Ed Hardy over at the ipad Pro 9.7 thread told me he felt it was no louder than other tablets, or writing on a single sheet of paper, and much less so than keyboarding notes during a meeting. For us old time lawyers, even the younglings don't keyboard in meetings, and I never had anyone glare at me in a meeting while writing on my SPro 3 or 4 as I have with the iPP 9.7. To each their own I guess...perhaps I am still wearing the scars of the HP Slate 500 tapping noise...