Surface 3 (Windows RT) In The Works?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

2. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

This would be the new RT version of the Surface line, so it will replace the existing Surface 2 (RT), and naturally be called the Surface 3.

The Surface PRO 3 replaced the Surface PRO 2, both of which use the full version of Windows 8.1.

Ed Hardy likes this.
  3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

It seems strange that MS would release another RT prior to Threshold at this point, of course a couple of weeks ago Digitizes was saying the MINI was entering full production for an August Launch to coincide with Update 2 Launch....

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Another comment, this time from NeoWin site (red emphasis mine):

"...The updates to the device should not be all that surprising - it will be slimmer and weigh less than the Surface 2, as well as featuring the new kickstand, and we are hearing that the new Surface Pen will be supported as well...."

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
    jnjroach, dceggert and bloodycape like this.
  5. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It has to support the pen or it'll be dead the moment it arrives. I REALLY hope that the battery life exceeds ALL other tablets by a healthy margin.

6. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I wonder if it will have a screen ratio change as well. Being more of a consumer targeted device it may not. Time will tell but the new kickstand and pen support will make this a significant update in itself.

7. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

I think MS needs to get this out by Sept to get the back to school rush at the very minimum. This sounds more like a tablet students on a budgets can get if it does come to fruition.

8. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy FORMER Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

There's also this from DigiTimes:

New Surface to come into production in August, say Taiwan maker

This unconfirmed report is of a 10.6-inch Surface supposedly debuting in October. It doesn't say anything about Windows RT, but does say the tablet will be slimmer and lighter than the Surface Pro 3, which suggests is could be the RT-based Surface 3.

9. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't really get it at this point. MS could make a thinner, lighter Surface 3 running Intel hardware. A 10.6" Surface with a quad-core Atom SoC, 2-3GB of RAM (maybe 4GB), and 32-64GB of built-in storage isn't out of the question and something like that could easily push the 11-12 hour real world battery mark. That would get rid of one aspect of their Windows market fragmentation so that they are focused on Windows for x86-64 and then Windows Phone.

The advent of power efficient, but still powerful, Intel SoCs has led me to believe that Windows RT is no longer needed. ARM SoCs are still relevant for handheld hardware along with super thin tablets running a mobile OS (i.e. Android, iOS, Tizen) which already exists in its own established universe (unlike Windows RT). I think MS needs to drop Windows RT, that would go along with recent statements from MS opting for a more unified Windows experience.

10. sven.hassel

sven.hassel Pen Pal - Newbie

I would love an atom powered Surface too, but Atom´s problem nowadays is that it is not as powerful as ARM in the GPU aspect. And MS knows that games are the cash cow in iOS.

Oh well, there are already some nice alternatives from OEMs using Atom in different price ranges. I just wish that professional active stylus tablets with 4 gb of ram and good resolutions - like the thinkpad 10 or the elitepad 1000- become cheaper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.