Surface 3 Rumors?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Nov 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

This is because that is how the $0 License Version of Windows 8.x is configured, as you state, you would not want to run Desktop Applications on a 7" Screen. The NSAT score for desktop on a 8" or under Windows Tablet is very low and again outside this community very few people attempt to make an 8" ATOM Tablet their daily driver, docking it using external keyboards and mice.

Windows RT was ~$80/License for the OEMs and didn't have the $0 License Option (until later). Microsoft had success with the Surface 2 (and RT once the price was low).

2. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And now that Windows RT licensing is free no OEMs have picked it up and instead are going for the free x86 Windows with Bing licenses.

As for the success of Surface RT devices, that's questionable. The best quarter that Microsoft has had with Surface was this past quarter and that was entirely due to the Surface Pro 3. Microsoft even canned the RT based Surface Mini because it simply didn't bring anything new to the table, with the possible exception of a digital pen.

A desktopless Windows device brings nothing new to the table and is way too far behind in tablet apps to have any hope of competing with Android and even iOS a small tablets.

I've been able to recommended cheap and small Windows tablets to some given the provision that the desktop is available for certain things even if the experience isn't ideal. Workout the desktop I couldn't recommend them to anyone.

3. jnjroach

You assume too much on the demise of the MINI, that reason you state was speculation from the press. Panos shared the reasoning at an NDA Conference I attended and that was not the reason. At the end of the day we will need to see how the SKUs shake out for Windows 10, we are still at least 8 months from RTM...

4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I agree with both of you. :D

I think the general public prefers no desktop, but I also think it's a huge loss of functionality that shouldn't have to happen (even on ARM devices). I also think it's a mistake for Microsoft to not tell everyone what the roadmap is for these smaller tablets and ARM devices before so many new ones are going on sale now and for the holiday season. People could be buying a device that when it gets Windows 10, ends up doing something entirely different from when they bought it.

5. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

You bring up an interesting point. My Elitepad 1000 has Windows 8.1 SST. I assume if and when it upgrades to 10 it will also get SST in that version. I have, however, Office 2013 Pro loaded on it and use Office every day. With 10 SST and the evaporating desktop I now have a choice; keep 8.1 and use Office 2013, or upgrade to 10 and be forced to upgrade Office as well for a very large sum of money. My upgrade path may just be to stay 8.1/Office 2013; it works just fine the way it is.

6. jnjroach

If you Elitepad is running Windows 8.1 Pro I would assume you'd receive the Pro Level SKU.

7. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You obviously know a lot more about what happened to the Surface Mini than I do so there's no point in me debating that with you.

Whatever the reason, the Pro line got an update in less than a year, the RT line is now well past a year without one and Microsoft has been much more public about assuring folks that the SP3 will be fully supported by Windows 10 while little has been said of the upgradability of the RT devices.

I agree with what you're saying about the utility of the desktop to laypeople on SSTs, modern apps are much more appropriate there. I'm just seeing a repeat of the confusion and branding issues that Windows RT bought how Microsoft would be able to overcome the inevitable controversy in the tech world of x86 devices coming with an OS that locks out the desktop with many people no doubt to force people to buy Windows Store apps.

The way to do this is with Continuum. On a SST when using touch you get the modern UI. Attach a keyboard and mouse and you get the desktop. And the option to turn this off and on would be their for more advanced users to work like Windows 8.x where the desktop and modern UI are side-by-side. I just think anything that even hits of Windows RT Windows Store only capable will face too much resistance to overcome.

8. jnjroach

Again... I think there will a path to the desktop on SST, just expect to pay for it....I think the free SKU will be desktopless but include Office Touch. I think Free Office Desktop Version is over with Office 2015.

9. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm sorry but could someone translate SKU SST and other terms for me? ) I feel like I miss something.

10. Largrande

Largrande Pen Pal - Newbie

SST = small screen tablet
    SKU = hmmm ? I think free Windwos version for SST ??

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.