Surface 3 Rumors?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Nov 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

It would require ARM to build their 64bit CPU with the ability to do x86 virtualization....

2. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Sorry, what I meant to write was Atom.

3. jnjroach

That is TBD...

4. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That just doesn't make a lot of sense. Windows RT failed with the OEMs and a lot of people that bought x86 Windows SSTs expressly wanted to ability to run desktop apps beyond Office. And with the ability to connect some of these SSTs to larger screens and external mice and keyboards give the a unique advantage over iOS and Android.

SSTs should work no differently than large screen tablets, hybrids or touchscreen laptops. If Continuum is what I hope it is, SSTs would just default to the touch UI but Continuum would engage when an Bluetooth keyboard or mouse were connected. Furthermore there should be the option for users to bypass Continuum and essentially work like Windows 8 where the user can interact with both the desktop and touch UIs simultaneously.

If Microsoft completely and permanently removes the desktop from x86 SSTs in Windows 10 it will be a cluster. People with Windows 8.1 SSTs won't have an upgrade path. Then you have the market confusion of Windows RT repeated and then you present OEMs with an OS that they already rejected in Windows RT 8.x

5. jnjroach

It makes sense if the OEMs and Microsoft are attempting to position these as companion (read - additional) devices and not "only" devices...the SST Market is the Netbook 2.0 and there needs to be some motivation to get people to spring for the pricier full machines and use the SST/Phablet as a companion.

With Office Gemini and Windows 10 my Lumia 1520 becomes a great companion device, complete with wireless docking and Bluetooth HID but I would want to navigate the desktop on it, but I could easily use it for a presentation.

6. heatlesssun

A Windows Phone is one thing. An x86 Windows tablet artificially restricted from running desktop apps would range somewhere between controversial to disastrous and I think that given the history of Windows RT that's not just hype.

There's no need to go down this dead end road again. I understand the idea of a companion device and that's fine but Windows doesn't have the tablet app strength yet to compete fully in that area. Now with my Windows 8 SSTs there are at least some areas where the desktop can provide support when there is no Windows Store app. There is no Amazon Video app but at least the desktop browser with Silverlight support is there.

7. jnjroach

Amazon also supports Flash so the MUI would work there. I'm not saying there won't be an option, but I'm pretty sure that the $0 license version of Windows will be desktopless and the Pro or Enterprise SKU will be available. I would also imagine that to upgrade to Pro it will be $100.

8. heatlesssun

True, it just that SL playback is much better than Flash for Amazon video and is even recommended by Amazon for desktops.

You might be right and I'm not arguing against what you're saying. It's just that after OEMs completely abandoned Windows RTI just don't see what would change their minds about another thing called Windows that can't run Windows programs.

If it didn't work last time I don't know why it would work another time around.

9. jnjroach

What will change there minds is $79-$199 price points for SSTs with $0 OEM License Cost and $179-$299 Pro Devices. Users who want the legacy stuff should be willing to shell out more money.

Windows 10 will offer true Universal MUI Apps that allow the developer to write once and deploy to 3.8" through 80" Devices (Phone, Tablet, Trad, PPI and Xbox) this also broaden the market for said Apps. Also MS is including tools for Android Development in Visual Studio 2015 which will allow Android Developers to do the same, write for Android and also Windows at the same time....

There is a market for desktopless Windows Devices, not within this community but go to Windows Phone and Surface Communities and you'll find most users prefer the MUI.

10. heatlesssun

But we have that already. I just got an HP Stream 7, paid $96.51 for it including taxes and free shipping and it can run desktop apps. Not that I would run a lot on a 7" screen the option is there are there are a couple that I do use.

I guess that's where I disagree given what happened with Windows RT and OEMs completely abandoning it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.