Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Pen Pal - Newbie

Ha ha. Old habits die hard. Will just have to try out 2015 then.

edit: If you're the same surfaceproartist as the blog, then kudos! Your review totally convinced me to get the SP2. Have been meaning to thank someone for that purchase for a looong time.

JoeS likes this.
  2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's me. Glad you liked it. For me, the SP2 was a bad investment because it didn't offer too much improvement over the SP1 and was so quickly replaced by the SP3. But nothing can compare to the boat anchor that was the Surface RT. :)

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The row of keys on the left seem misaligned. The inside edge sticks up a bit. I think ill be exchanging it. Other than that, I'm loving this thing.

epicfoxes likes this.
  4. surfaceproartist

Yes, mine looks a little misaligned too.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Okay. First issue. Activating office, it tells me that office university is active. It's my daughters account. If I activate this office, it says it will override that account. You can only have 1 active license per account? That can't be right. Any solution?

BTW, inking is the best I've felt on a surface. Even the S3 demos. Impressive when you consider its ntrig.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  6. epicfoxes

epicfoxes Pen Pal - Newbie

Isn't the office product tied to one login?

The device is amazing. My struggles are with Windows 8 in general. I've been on Windows 7 primarily

7. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So far it only charges when its completely off for me. I wonder if it needs to be below a certain threshold before it starts charging when in use. Running updates at 80% still, we'll see if it kicks in at a lower charge level.

Update: Charging kicked in at 75% till fully charged, so seems its working as designed.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
    alaskajoel likes this.
  8. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

My charger started to finally charge once it hit a threshold of 20%. Wow the charge is really really slow. Been plugged in for a good 35 minutes and now at 23%.

Brightness 50%.

Side note: Inking in onenote is great, there is no lag. The system lags when I have to annotate word documents.

So far the cons to me are, slow performance in Word Ink Annotations, and the real slow charging.

The pro is that its really really light, and ultra portable. I can see this as a very good companion. I hear SP4 is supposed to be announced soon as well. Maybe its time for me to run over my Thinkpad Yoga 12" that I bought from the microsoft store :p

Bronsky likes this.
  9. surfaceproartist

The one area I've noticed where lower-powered CPU Windows devices really take a performance hit is in downloads and installations. I don't know if it's the CPU or the low RAM and storage space, but they really slow to a crawl during Windows Updates or software downloads and installs.

10. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Where in settings would it be?

Anyone having issues with the keyboard paring with the computer? Like so far at least twice today I put they keyboard on only to see it's not connected/working. I had to take the keyboard off and put it back on to get it working. I want to say it was not seated right, but I could be totally wrong.

I haven't noticed too much of a difference, but I don't have or updated any full power windows 8 devices so I can't give a fair comparison. But, the gen 2 quad core i7 Sony Vaio with 8gb my mother has runs windows 7 updates just as fast or as slow, depending on how you see it as my old RT device.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.