Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Please do find that poll if you can. I'd like to see it. I was surprised enough when ~40% responded that they didn't use the pen in my poll. In the general public I'd see 40% as shockingly low, but, around here, it seemed high.

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...ching-to-the-asus-vivotab-note-8-wacom.60539/

2. epicfoxes

epicfoxes Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not upset, just curious as to why MS didn't include the pen which is being marketed to a base (students) that's likely to use the pen.

I guess I finally see this as an opportunity for MS to increase its exposure to students that have moved away from the Windows ecosystem for an iPad and/or Macbook setup.

3. gaidin43

gaidin43 Pen Pal - Newbie

When are the events at the stores? Is it 10am?

4. Mesosphere

Money. The goal of most companies is to make more of it (as it should be) =P

Having said that, I don't know if it isn't true that they would make more money in the long run by selling it cheaper. But that is the ultimate question I think they ask themselves when they set the price. According to whatever market research (and guestimation/experience) they have done, they see ~500 to be the optimal price for the slate (or ~550 with the pen functionality). It is entirely possible they guessed wrong, but, their guess is probably more educated than most of ours.

Certainly I think that a pen equipped S3 should be more expensive than an iPad.

Some say the iPad is too expensive, but, in my mind the definition of something being too expensive is that it reduces long term profit for the company... I think Apple priced it about right. They have sold iPads at a clip of about 20 million per quarter for about 5 years now. Doesn't sound like too high a price to me... although maybe at a lower price people would be upgrading them at smartphone like frequency (as they probably hoped).

5. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

If my slippery memory is clear today I seem to recall it was a part of the Dell Venue 8 Pro thread. I will search there for a while.

Also, I know you were here and likely remember the surprise when MS included a pen with the first Surface Pro. Leading up to that event MS was pushing a reference design that was completely penless. These pages here were full of contempt for the abandonment of the TabletPC design by the same initiators of the design. The feeling was that since iOS and Android were both outselling the TabletPC and they did not have a pen (or ports for the that matter) then having them was holding up sales! Sort of like saying that everyone is buying the world's best selling car because it is green so let's paint ours green and then we can sell as many. This was also the point in time when the pen stopped having onboard storage from many OEM's. The last 15 years have been quite an interesting tale of intrigue!

Mesosphere and southdunes like this.
  6. gaidin43

gaidin43 Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone know if best buy or the MS store is offering any decent bundles or free pens for coming in today? I have been looking and there are zero leaks as to what is coming out today

7. epicfoxes

epicfoxes Pen Pal - Newbie

The S3 is a product that deserves a higher price as it strikes the almost perfect combination of design, components and materials however it's just not there in terms of popularity.

Also, the MS brand, for the most part, has been associated with subpar experiences and MS needs to correct the association by getting a quality product in the hands previous Windows owners and Mac users that are curious about Windows.

I feel that the pricing/bundling could a little more aggressive and make it easier to promote a premium product worth demonstrating and sharing.

8. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

I do think the Surface is a premium device that no one should expect to be cheap. However, I also believe that Microsoft could and should have included the pen while maintaining the same price point. The ability to use the pen is a big part of the reason the Surface stands above a lot of other tablets. Without it, it's just another Windows tablet albeit with excellent build quality.

9. Mesosphere

You may be right that a cheaper price would do better. I'm just saying that I think MS is probably aware of what you are saying (as well as other factors we probably haven't thought of), and came to the conclusion to sell it at the price they are selling it at. Ultimately, I think no one knows for sure the ideal price. Too many unknown/uncertain variables.

They would probably sell more if they sold it cheaper, but how many more? Would it be enough to offset the reduced profit/device. If it doesn't, does it bring enough new users to their ecosystem that the long term profits from those new users offsets the loss per device? If the long term profits for the device are up, does angering the OEMs by pricing it too low have long term impacts that make it not worth pricing it lower? ETC...

For the sake of argument, lets assume they did their research and weighing all the options they decided the optimal price was $500 for the slate and $550 for the slate + pen. At that point they have two options. They could chose to sell the base model at $550 with the pen or they could sell the pen separately and have the slate at $500. As @dceggert correctly pointed out, many people have no desire for the pen. I'd wager in many of those cases it is because they haven't "seen the light", but, regardless, they don't want a pen (and they certainly don't want to pay extra for it). Perhaps if they sold it bundled at $550 they would come off as more honest to those that want the pen, but how many of those that don't desire the pen would they lose due to the increase in price?

If their conclusions about pricing were wrong, and a bundled price of $500 was more optimal than $550, they made a mistake; however, I'd argue in that case they should sell it at $450 for the slate + $50 for the digitizer seperately, because, again, many people (perhaps a majority) wont want the pen.

10. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not sure about using a more powerful USB charger (I don't even know if one exists) but smartphone chargers are typically rated at 2.1A, 5-10W. I have a Qualcom Quick Charge compatible charger for my Note Edge and I think it's rated at 0.9A, 20W but I could be mistaken.

As for the battery life numbers being mixed, they are just as mixed for the SP3. As with any device, it all depends on what you do. People are getting mixed numbers because they are relying on different browsers (Chrome, desktop IE, touch IE, FireFox), are connected to different types of wi-fi networks, do different things online, etc. One test said that the Surface 3 lasted 7 hours running a playlist of 1080p YouTube videos through Chrome. That same site reported a 6 hour battery life for the SP3 while others are reporting less and more. The reviews for the Surface 3 seem to be about the same. You can get 7 hours of mixed use or 10 hours of video playback. Of course using the touch version of IE will get you more browsing time.

Either way, the battery life results from multiple reviews follow a similar path to the SP3 and other units, even the new MacBook.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.