Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kendra

Kendra Pen Pal - Newbie

Wasn't there also a theory of creating room for OEMs (pricing)?

Lack of KB did not surprise me but the lack of Pen did.

I'm also guessing, MS is trying to create space for the weakest upcoming SP4 by giving S3 certain limitations.

2. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I called my local store and they said they will find out launch day about the bundles. So, I plant to skip work in the morning to see if they have specials. If not, I'll get the tablet and keyboard and then order the SP3 pen off amazon for a lower price and save there.

3. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Seems that the charging time is disappointing specially if you are using the tablet while charging.
    Same result and by Notebookcheck
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Microsoft-Surface-3-Tablet-Convertible-Review.141116.0.html

"Mobile employees" in particular are the target audience for the Surface 3 according to Microsoft. For us, this means a frequent switching between battery and mains operation, depending on the environment when you use the Surface 3 on the road. And this might actually be the biggest issue of the Surface 3. The poor charging times disqualify the device as an ultramobile working device.

If you charge the device when it is turned off, the 13-Watt power adapter charges the battery by 32% (start at 5% remaining capacity) within one hour. After two hours we get 72 %, but the whole capacity of 28 Wh is only available after almost 4 hours. If you have to use the device while you charge it, however, on the train or a plane, for example, then it takes much longer. It seems that the 13-Watt power adapter is not powerful enough. We simulate the use with the help of our WLAN script and charge the battery at the same time. After one hour (once again start at 5 % remaining capacity) the battery capacity is only at 18%, after 2 hours 27%, 3h: 39%, 4h: 53%, 5h: 67%, 6h: 80%, 7h: 92%, and the full capacity is only available after around 8 hours.
    In our test with multiple days of flights and numerous location changes we always had the problem that the device did not get enough power in the charging periods to use the device without a socket afterwards for a longer time.

The cable of the provided power adapter can also be used as a USB cable. The charging via USB port is basically possible, but only when the Surface 3 is turned off, otherwise the device will consume too much power so it would take quite a while.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

jvloyola and Kendra like this.
  4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

This has me a bit concerned. Can we use a more powerful charger? How many watts are typical smartphone chargers rated at? Also the mix results in battery life vs the SP3 still have me a bit concerned and has me thinking SP3 again? Damn you Intel and MS.

Edit: There looks to be a 4th position of the kickstand? Not in English, but the video is interesting, Can anyone translate it for us please?

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  5. Kendra

Kendra Pen Pal - Newbie

Yikes.

Wonder if a patch could help that.

Maybe they'll do a silent hardware revision later on that alleviates the poor charging performance.

6. epicfoxes

epicfoxes Pen Pal - Newbie

That's big news, if true for all stores

7. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not sure that you will find a much more powerful charger, and if you find, we do not know how the S3 will support it.
    And if you find and if it support it, the charge will be more rapid, but you will make the life of the battery shorter.

I have the same issue with the AVN8. I just ordered a 5V 3A charger. This is the more powerful I found.
    I will tell you if it really delivers 3A, because the 2A often deliver less than 2.
    The one I have received with the AVN8 delivers only 1.75 A at best.
    I will tell you too the result on the AVN8.

The question of how it will support it could have two answers :
    - the AVN8 accept only 1.75 A, whatever you propose to it. For instance, the AVN8 charger, which is able to deliver 1.75 to the AVN8, delivers only 0.85 A to my phone.
    - the AVN8 accepts more than 1.75 A. And then the questions will be : how much it accepts max, how it increase the heat of the AVN8, and which concequences it will have on the battery life.

8. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That is a very good review and comparison - using real world applications used by musicians. Miles better than the benchmark-driven perspective of the majority of the tech reviewers.

alextrela182 likes this.
  9. gaidin43

gaidin43 Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone confirm the free pen if bought at the store? If so this might change my plans for today.

10. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

To all those upset with the lack of a pen being included and thinking MS is just being cheap....I will direct you to the poll that was conducted right here in pen computing haven (if I can find the thread/post) where, even to my surprise, 80% or close to it, do not use a pen with their device. Why then, throw it away?

The SP3 is different; the pen is highlighted as a need. Even then, I bet a large majority never use it. You think any of those Apple fan journos that couldn't figure out how to use the SP3 with their legs crossed ever used the pen for anything other than complaining about it?

I know YOU want the pen but a huge majority does not so, it isn't included this go around....my opinion of course.

gcoupe and Azule like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.