Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Enterprises have an Enterprise Agreement that includes Side-loading Licenses for Developers, the first time you side load an application using the PowerShell Script Installer you will need to login using (you guessed it) a Microsoft Account and it will issue a Developer's License that needs to be renewed every 60 days...

2. gaidin43

gaidin43 Pen Pal - Newbie

Does the app still work and function though as a local machine? What about in app purchases? Or even a local machine that is set up as an HTPC or a kids computer and you as the parent have the account with the app you want to use? I know with Apple they now have app sharing, but I am trying to sort out this account/user issue before the tablet comes.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I'm with you. I've been without a tablet for over a month. My X301 is tired of being dragged around.

4. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

It's on Samsung's website, I'm not sure if it's regionally restricted or not. But it's an option if people want to stay in Samsung's world. Otherwise I fully recommend OneNote as it is available for Android (for free), iOS, and Windows. Log-in with your MS account and everything syncs wirelessly.

I use Matlab pretty extensively at work. I run code that takes hundreds of 200X150 Excel spreadsheets, makes them into a big matrix, imports other 200X1150 Excel spreadsheets, makes them into other matrices, subtracts/divides them with the big matrix, runs statistical analysis (error, variation, etc.), runs integrations on the big matrix multiple times until it finds a model with the least error and variation, and does all sorts of other stuff so that I end up with a single Excel file with three sheets in it along with 2-3 3D color contour plots. It takes about 4 minutes to do this (with ~250 source spreadsheets) on my work desktop with an old (2006) dual-core 2GHz Pentium CPU, 4GB of RAM, and 5400RPM hard drive. The whole process would take 2.75 minutes on my Surface Pro 2. So, my my Matlab needs, I think the Surface 3 will

Well, they did include a year of Office 365 which costs $70 and a year (maybe 2) of 1TB of storage from OneDrive which comes out to $84. I think the issue is people would prefer something else, something they can actually hold instead of software.

WuBoy likes this.
  5. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

I got ship :)

Overnight, apparently. Nice touch.

So S-Note now is gettable on Windows? How odd. Not sure if I like it (I used it on Android, but it was slim pickins, pretty much) . I'll give it a whirl, WTF.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  6. gaidin43

One year of office online is crap to add on for the price value. Subscription based services are the devil as far as I am concerned. You end up paying moreover the life time of use then you would for a one time purchase.

A pen, keyboard cover, or lower price is what the "correct" price point should be.

7. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Yup, I do not want a subscription to Office. If you want the latest though it makes sense...Office 2015 or whatever is next. Since you pay by the year you will get the latest when it is available. For me, as long as it interacts with my work it works good enough for me...still use Office 2010!

8. gaidin43

Office 2007 still works for most things too!

Anyone have word on other promo packages ms or other retailers will come up with for this ?

9. Spartanjet

Spartanjet Pen Pal - Newbie

alextrela182 and Kendra like this.
  10. jra166

jra166 Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone get a shipping confirmation from Costco yet? My order status only says 'Order Received'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.