Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

I get what you're saying, and others have made the point too. Everything you just listed is software oriented. If you need the Windows ecosystem to flourish, then of course a Windows tablet is your best option. However, that doesn't mean the level of work you're doing is beyond what can be done on an Android tablet. Calling Android a toy OS is a bit silly if the only reasoning you have for that is that some niche programs you need aren't available on it.

The bold is actually a remaining problem for me too, but I won't know if it's a deal breaker or not until I use the S3 a little.

The problems is of course, from what I see, the Dell venue is the only Core M option in the same general price option, but the pen technology is inferior. And that's actually a more important concern for me.

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea, the device that seems to fit my bill is the Toshiba z20t (Wacom EMR, Core M, 12.5", detachable), but having just spent ~2k last year on my Fujitsu T904, it is difficult to justify the cost ($1400-1700) =P

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  3. WuBoy

lol Yeah, that's another reason why I don't want to spend a lot of money on a tablet. For me they are sort of like phones, I wind up wanting a new one every two or three years. Traditionally, when I've spent over 1K on a computer, I've kept that computer for at least 5 years.

4. Mesosphere

My wife would probably like you better.

southdunes likes this.
  5. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

This highlights exactly why an analysis of an individual's needs are so important. 'Work' means different things to different people. In her case, that is the perfect match for capability and need.

6. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

om my S3 has shipped form BestBuy so I should get it Tuesday...

7. Mesosphere

This thread doesn't seem to be getting as much activity as I would have expected.

It took a little over a month to get to ~780 posts (~24 posts/day), 52k views.

The SP3 took 10 days to reach ~780 posts (~78 posts/day). It currently has ~500k views. Averaged over 11 months that is ~ 45k views per month, so, the S3 is ahead of that pace, but the views per month are likely far from constant. I bet the views per month were much higher around the time of release than the 52k the S3 has received.

The TPCR forum community is far from a random sampling though. We have a higher density of "enthusiasts", so it might make sense for the activity around here to by higher for the SP3 vs the S3 even if the S3 were to be more popular with the general population...

... BUT, the most popular device of all time was the Dell Venue 8 Pro. It reached ~780 posts after only 6 days (~130 posts/day). This device probably had more main stream appeal because of its price point. In terms of views it currently has 1.5 million. That is ~94k/month, but near launch time I assume the views per month was well above that average.

Despite being less ideally suited for the makeup of this forum community than the SP3 (the dell had a bad pen, especially in the early days, and relatively low compute power), it still got much more activity than the SP3, so in the general population, the sales were probably even further outnumbering the SP3 than the thread activity showed.

I would think that MS would be hoping for the S3 to be a device that would sell more units than the SP3. The SP3 is probably better suited for the typical TPCR forum member, so larger activity maybe isn't surprising, but with enough mass market appeal the DV8P was able to overcome that.

Obviously there are lots of variables involved to complicate any correlation between thread activity and market success, but I wonder why the S3 isn't faring "better"?

8. WuBoy

Wasn't the DV8P like the first high profile tablet in an explosion of affordable Windows tablets? I think at that time, more people were just coming around to Windows tablets, whereas now they are more commonplace with more known options. I don't think it's fair to expect the S3 to generate the same buzz.

9. Mesosphere

Maybe not, like I said, lots of variables, but I was expecting more buzz than this. One of my first thoughts after it was announced (since I never really thought this device was for me), was how the buzz would compare. My expectation was that it would surpass the DV8P thread.

Also, I'm not trying to degrade the device (just to be clear). Even if for whatever reason we talk/view about it less around here, doesn't necessarily mean the device was a flop. Further, even if it flops in the market generally, that doesn't mean it isn't a great device for a given individual. I am just pointing out an observation I found interesting (that might possibly be an early warning sign for MS).

10. magicalUnicorns

magicalUnicorns Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone buy it at a brick and mortar yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.