Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmbiDextrose

AmbiDextrose Scribbler - Standard Member

I think everything is needs-driven. And, depending on your specific needs, it may warrant the hardware the S3 presents. But the other "X" factor is the feel. We often discard "feel" as a legitimate factor when choosing hardware - not just physical feel but how it feels to use the device to satisfy a need (something Apple is well aware of).

For example, I'm considering getting my wife the S3. She works in the real estate industry and she needs to do research on properties, real estate and building laws per county, financial profiles, track multiple events, manage contracts, review floor plans or building plans, and other things like balance the family budget (to which I'll openly admit I'm not good at despite my math and engineering backgrounds). All of these could be done on an Android device but not to the same degree as working on a "proper" Windows tablet, in my opinion. For example, a fully-speced Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 will cost me ~$800 but can't handle more than three of four apps running simultaneously whereas in my wife's workflow, she often needs around 8 or 9 applications running concurrently. Don't ask me how she manages it - she just does and any attempts I've made to streamline her workflow has been met with a lot of hissing noises. . . .

At the end of the day, the kids can use it to do their homework or just doodle on it via Manga Studio Pro. Although there are excellent sketching apps available in Android (e.g., Autodesk SketchBook, Corel Painter, ArtFlow, ArtRage, et.al.), they prefer MSP. Why? I dunno. Maybe to them, MSP "feels" right. So that definitely steers our decision towards the Windows ecosystem.

Thus, in our experience, the Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 is actually less usable than the venerable Toshiba M7 my wife and kids are currently sharing.

Mesosphere likes this.
  2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I think C++ and MatLab are nothing like Photoshop. For C++ and MatLab, the UI and coding windows will run smoothly. It is only the compiling and/or running of the codes which will see slow downs. For photoshop UI interaction (say laying down a complicated brush stroke) can itself be computationally demanding resulting in a non-smooth UI experience. With C++ and Matlab type demands you will simply have to wait longer for your code to run/compile, but the creation work (coding) should be "smooth".

Having said all that. The review seemed relatively fair and balanced to me. It was just coming from someone who isn't well suited for the device. He was careful to say that it wouldn't be the ideal choice for his needs, and I think based on his brief description it sounds reasonable.

My needs are different, but on the whole I can relate to him. He seems to see the S3 as a good device, but he doesn't see himself as a good fit for the device. The S3 is not going to be a one-size-fits-all device.

WuBoy likes this.
  3. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That depends entirely on your definition of "real hardcore work". For some of us, our "real hardcore work" is entirely satisfied by a modern Atom-based device.

Mesosphere likes this.
  4. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

That's interesting. I actually hadn't considered it that way. My needs sound to be somewhat like yours which would benefit more from a Core M than a Core i device. In my mind, more power should be held at a premium for a computing device. But I do see your point about the advantages of optimizing in other areas at the expense of some power. I don't know if the Core M is cheaper than the Core i either. I guess if it is, then my argument still bears some merit. If it isn't, then my argument becomes moot. Either way, you've raised and interesting perspective.

Another great post, and it puts my mind at ease. I think you're right. Running MatLab, Mathematica, C++, etc... shouldn't be too hard for the S3, however, depending on the complexity of the program, compiling and running those programs could be difficult for it. That said, that's not really a big deal when I think about it. The programs I write usually process a lot of data which can push a system. However, I can easily use the S3 to write the programs using smaller dummy data sets to check them. And then when I have the programs right and need to run them for real, I just use my laptop.

Ok, I'm back on the S3 bandwagon. Thanks. :)

Mesosphere likes this.
  5. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I will add to this, if you want to use a device to do work it needs to integrate into the work ecosystem along with all the software options that I need to do it with. I am not talking work as in adding a location description to a photo or uploading a video to Youtube....I am talking editing OneNote folders on Sharepoint for others to use; running Excel macros that pull data down from the intranet; marking up PDF's and loading them up to the internal cloud, etc.

If I did not work and use my device for integrated tasks then yes, Android would be fine. Anything my laptop does to integrate into the work ecosystem I need to be able to do with my mobile device. This Elitepad 1000 with the Atom z3795 isn't even breathing hard I see no issue with the X7.

@WuBoy, I am not trying to be difficult but I see your point. My Sister in Law purchased an iPad so she can sit on her couch and 'do Facebook.' That, to her, was what she wanted to use it for. 'Working' to her was Facebook, Twitter, and email. We all obviously have a different opinion of work. I told her a $100 5-year old laptop would do that for her and I was informed that Apple is the only option. About 2 weeks later she called me and wanted to update a document her teacher sent her to fill out and send back; sorry, she picked the wrong $800 device.

Some people believe that if you want to do artistic stuff (work with photos, videos, and/or music) you need an Apple. Some believe that if you want to work with documents, internet, watch movies, do FB, etc. you need Android. All that is fine, but when you want to integrate with the business world you need to be able to interface with what is being used on 80% of the world's devices; Windows and all the unique software combinations that are out there.

When I heard that the software of choice was WordPerfect in the legal world I bought my son who is in Law School a Helix like mine. It does all of the above AND interfaces with the rest of the world. We can spend a lot of time trying to find alternatives and then make them work but in the end, why? Don't get me wrong, I have done this too; Linux on laptops, Linux on TabletPC's, using OpenOffice, switching to LibreOffice, etc. All that works for one or two things but the minute my customer wants a 'Project' file update as a status report it all goes out the window. The $1500 Apple laptop, the fanciest Android device, and the best open source software all mean nothing at that point.

It is more than just the pen, that is just a bonus!

6. WuBoy

Yeah, that may not be the best of terms to use. But by it I'm talking about work that you traditionally need a real computer to do and typically can't get done on a modern tablet.

Like I said. My impression of the S3 is that the capabilities it offers don't differ all that much from what you can get from an iPad or a mid to high range Android tablet. However, the presence of the pen and access to Desktop programs definitely make it a better option for many than the alternatives.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I think both statements are incorrect. I rarely use my tablet for any consumption. I use it to track and enter time, to conduct legal research, create, manage and modify a host of media including documents, aerial and satellite images, prepare pleadings, briefs and appendicies, and detail activities during site investigations. All, in addition to the normal Tablet/office functions like note-taking, power point, spread sheets, and email, etc.

None of this could be handled on an Android tablet. Wordperfect, is still the best program for pleading preparation. There is no Android version. Lexis for MS Office runs only in windows and requires a min 4GB RAM. There is no program that is the equal of Adobe Acrobat Pro for document production. The proprietary GIS software that must be used to handle the aerial images is windows only. In my world, chrome and android are toy OS's.

In short, the S3 looks powerful enough to run my entire office on it, which is largely paperless. Because of confidentiality concerns, and limitations imposed by the Courts, the cloud isn't a viable option either.

alextrela182 and hawkeye62 like this.
  8. WuBoy

Yeah, I get you. That's why using terms like "real work" is dangerous. I wouldn't buy an Android tablet for myself for productivity purposes. It just wouldn't work for what I want to do. However, my wife is a dance teacher, and I got her an Asus transformer tablet, and it works well for her. She docks it on the key board and uses it to write her lesson plans, make her schedules, edit spreadsheets, keep up with her outlook email, etc... She undocks it uses it to play music for her class, take videos and pics of her students as they perform, and keep up with her facebook and personal email. That's all "real work" for her, but doesn't warrant the extra money you'd spend for a good Windows tablet vs a good Android tablet.

dceggert likes this.
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Your welcome. Unfortunately, I still haven't gotten on =P

I think I need clamshell like keyboard and a larger screen, OR a smaller screen (with no keyboard requirement). Also, a real SSD is still a big want/need for me (Core M).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.