Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartanjet

Spartanjet Pen Pal - Newbie

What a horrible review. I love the way he complains about the surface price then talks about the mac air and its only 1300 for a slightly more powerful system that isn't a tablet and is double the price.

This is a tablet, not a laptop replacement like the surface pro 3. Reviews should focus on tablet tasks and light computing and compare it to those god awful chromebooks, iPads, and cheap Windows tablets/netbooks. Metro gaming, emails, browsing, and consuming media are its focus not Photoshop, video editing, or high end gaming.

I got the keyboard, pen, and 4/128 surface for under $675 US using the 5% coupon and .edu 10% discount. It puts it directly against a 128gb iPad tablet.

alextrela182 likes this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Could not agree more. The one good thing is that the S3 seems a perfect fit for my needs. I was actually impressed with the performance of the X7 Atom. The comparison with the new mac is utter nonsense. Compare the SP4 with it. They are closer in price.

3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I am not sure I should say this guy is an idiot or if Microsoft has done such a good job that people are confused over the S3
    capabilities. I am really surprised it edits videos.

My analogy is that he just took a Golf 2.0 TDI and tried to tow an Airstream camper with it and, oops, it didn't work. So, better buy an Apple equivalent of a Suburban.

If you expect to work in large digital media files (especially photos and video) then buy a Surface Pro 3. I edit photos on my Atom machine but I have never edited video; never even tried. It bogs my i5 laptop for crying out loud.

4. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't really concern myself with all that. There was some useful information in there.

That said, the Windows tablet space is weird. I'd like something like the Surface, but somewhere in between the surface and surface pro in performance. You would think that the Core M devices would fit that bill. However, from what I've seen, the Core M devices are priced like the Core i devices. And the S3 certainly fills a good role, but it seems like a glorified consumption device. If that's all it is, it's overpriced for that. And before anyone brings up Apple devices, they are overpriced too. Something like the Dell Venue 11 at the S3's price point would be nice, but again sales aside, that's priced almost like an SP3 which is ridiculous.

5. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I think that part of the issue is nobody knows how to test or market these things. My 'consumption' is pretty much just here at TabletPCreview.com. I also watch an occasional Youtube video when I am doing research.

My older slower Atom goes all day long. Doing what? I track all my work projects and tasks with Outlook, OneNote, Access, and Project. I even have Visio on here. After work it serves my various organizations I work with. It becomes my GPS device on motorhome journeys as well as my touch screen jukebox for the family while bouncing down the road.

In between all that I use it for historical research and to work on my book I am writing.

Having all this capability with you all the time is pretty amazing. A glorified consumption device like an iPad or Android phablet? Not a chance!

alextrela182, jvloyola and gcoupe like this.
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

This is what I don't get.

This is precisely my feeling.

I can count the remaining days on one hand, even if I'm not being hunted by Inega Montoya.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
    jvloyola likes this.
  7. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe I'm wrong, but everything you said can be done on a decent Android tablet. Basically, your needs aren't even a function of the hardware. Your needs are Office centered, and Microsoft has expanded the Office capabilities on Android tablets. So yeah, you can do almost all of that on Android tablets just fine. I'm not sure about Access, Project, and Visio so maybe a Windows tablet is better for you, but again that's software. There is some software on Android or iOS that's superior to the Windows version. That really comes down to preference.

What's not to get? I think he laid it out pretty well. What's not to get, I mean even in bashing this guy and his review, you guys are pointing out that the S3 is not really meant for doing any real hardcore work. So you're basically saying the same exact thing both the reviewer and I are saying. Basically the tablet is good for browsing the net, light gaming, and watching various types of video. All of that is consumption. He addressed productivity and said you can get away with Office style creation, but anything heavier than that won't always be smooth. So it does add some limited productivity.

All of that can be done with the cheapest of Android tablets these days, and those are mostly consumption devices.

Now I'd agree that these reviews always seem to downplay the usefulness and rareness of an active digitizer. That pretty much gives this tablet capabilities that are beyond anything you'll see in the Android or iOS space (with the exception of the Note tablets which are priced comparably to the S3).

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  8. tp2386

tp2386 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm in agreement with WuBoy here. If it wasn't for the active digitizer with ntrig support and the full onenote experience, I would have just gotten a really nice Android tablet that too has support for office. The pen support with full onenote is a student/workers dream.

9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Core M was never intended to be between Atom and Core i in terms of price. It was intended for high end users who prefer efficiency (and all the benefits which come with that) over top end compute power.

I think the idea that price and raw compute performance should have a one to one relationships is out of date. Core M was designed for users like me. I want the best device possible. My lack of need for top end processing power on my mobile device doesn't mean I want something cheap. I don't want heat, weight and noise associated with a Core i. That doesn't mean I don't want the best possible performance within the thermal envelope of a fanless device, an SSD, etc. I'm not looking to save money, it is just that the optimal design in my use case (and I'd wager this is true for most people these days) is not centered around CPU compute power. Also, was Core M cheaper for Intel to make/design than a Core i chip? I don't think it was, so why should it be cheaper?

I'll admit I haven't seen any study that address this, but I'd wager the real life "hardcore" work for the significant majority is not more computationally demanding than typical consumption activities. In a world of over 5 billion people there are plenty of exceptions, but, as a % thing, I think it is a minority who need Core i compute power. And if it wasn't for gaming, I'd bet that % would be significantly smaller.

alextrela182, hawkeye62 and WuBoy like this.
  10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Your argument is correct but the reality is much more nuanced...

Yes, Office has come to Android and iOS but both are limited in what they can do and are designed for review and light editing (full disclosure - I wrote the product guides for these). If you need analytics, Pivot Tables and Self-service Power-BI you need the full desktop class versions of Office or even more advanced editing in PowerPoint or Word.

The Mobile Office Apps do not replace the desktop applications but supplement them very well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.