Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks. That's a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned. I'm not going to be paying more money for an inferior writing experience.

2. epicfoxes

epicfoxes Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone know the likelihood that MS will release the educational version of the S3 (32gb version)? It was mentioned on their blog but I haven't seen any news about it.

I am leaning towards biting the bullet an purchasing the s3. Was going to wait for user reviews here but I might as well be an early adopter and retire my MT80A.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I just received an invitation to a Cinco De Mayo event at the MS Store to launch the S3 It is sponsored by the Business Sales Rep for The MS Store. The 32GB/2GB; 64GB/4GB and 128GB/4GB models are listed on the invitation. I think Ill RSVP since I have to go to the store anyway to pick up my unit.

BTW, the notice also says that 3-4 year extended warranties and service plans are available.

epicfoxes and dceggert like this.
  4. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

I didn't know there was a 32GB/2GB model. That sounds too small for Windows 8.1. After the OS is accounted for how much space does that leave on the hard drive?

5. tp2386

tp2386 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not to sure but I know for a fact that the 32GB surface 2 had 18GB fresh from the store.

6. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I have all iterations of the Synaptics pen for my Venue 8 Pro. They have, indeed, come a long way with the technology from day 1, but....and it is a big butt, I would not be buying the Surface 3 if it had Synaptics technology for the digitizer. Atmel; I would be wrestling with the decision (it is real good on the Elitepad 1000 but suffers from internal contact corrosion issues - I get about 6 months to a pen and about 1 month per battery) but still probably no even if it were an as yet unreleased gen 4. N-trig; no problem. Wacom (the new single layer version); still too new for me....been burned with this new tech stuff now through two iterations of Atmel and one Synaptics....I would let others (Bronsky?) blaze that trail. The old Wacom digitizer; no thanks (I know this rubs some the wrong way, especially the digital artists, but the system on my Fujitsu T730, Q584, and Helix works exactly the same as my old 2003 vintage TC1100 and 2730P with all the edge issues/lost calibration settings/parallax issues that go right along with it); the 'feel' and writing is good with this system but now that I am used to the goodness of the single layer tech I no longer like it.

Now that I have had the opportunity to sample them all (except the Wacom single layer) the N-trig v3.5 and newer (with the internal contact corrosion issues fixed) may be the most reliable and repeatable system of them all... Microsoft was wise to buy the company.

soh5 likes this.
  7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

My DV8P was broken before the "silver barrel" Synaptics pen was released, so I haven't tried it, but, in your mind, how is Synaptics still lacking? (just curious, I don't doubt you =P)

8. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Just the internal corrosion issues with the pen that plague the non-silver barreled pens. Function of the latest pen is great but I am just waiting for the shoe to drop...on it...so to speak. My other pens will not even turn on anymore. They are just plain dead. All the internal contacts must be a dissimilar metal.

What amazes me is that N-trig, with all the development that went into their tech over the years including the pen, was somehow missed by Atmel and Synaptics completely. N-trig solved the patchy performance issues from the early HP days and then had the corrosion issues that they solved over time on the Sony and Fujitsu devices. My Sony pen still works after years of sitting in the drawer!

When Atmel came out with v1 on the Motorola XOOM it was pure terrible. V2 on the Elitepad 900 was still pretty bad. V3 on the Elitepad 1000 is stellar...absolutely stellar until it goes wonky from corrosion way too soon. My old Elitepad 900 pens are just as useless now as the old Synaptics pens. If these were $2.99 it would be one thing but they are $59!

The Wacom AMR (I think that is what it is) has me waiting to see if there are corrosion issues with it as well. The pen seems to work very well but did they make the same design decisions as Synaptics or Atmel or did they benchmark the materials inside the N-trig pen? Time will tell....

Mesosphere and bloodycape like this.
  9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Finally an autocorrect that is an all guys version, precede but by big and it knows what you guys are really thinking. You use an iPhone? Because "it just works". :D:p:eek:

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

10. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

Too many pages, not sure if it's mentioned already:

There was one on display at a mall store near my place, so went to try it out. Fantastic weight compared to SP3. Digitizer pen performs similar to the Surface Pro 3. Including the slow drawing wobbliness.

excalibur1814 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.