Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

1. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Does anyone know if theres a USB plug in on the head of the charger plug in? (Akin to the Surface Pro power adapters?)

2. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

According to the notebookcheck review and first impression the battery has a capacity of 28.4 Wh.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Microsoft-Surface-3-Tablet-First-Impressions.141116.0.html

Edit: Yesterday i made my pre order from ms store.de 4/128 version.:)

Dear (r) A**********+******

Thank you for shopping at Microsoft Store. We have received your order and it can be 4 - last 6 hours until we have processed it.

If you have any questions, please call us at 0800 8088014.

Order reference number:
    10***********

Your order and invoice information:
    Order Number: 10**********
    Order date: April 27, 2015

Delivery address:
    Greece

Product SKU: 7G6-00003
    Product Name: Surface 3 - 128GB (Pre-Ordered)
    Pre-order release date: Shipping May 7
    Unit Price: € 719.00
    Purchased Quantity: 1
    Amount: € 719.00

Subtotal: € 584.55
    Tax: € 134.45

Total: € 719.00

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Thank you for the information and the link. Notebookcheck is very reputable. The rumor is officially busted and proved incorrect!

Congratulations on your preorder. Are you going to replace anything with the S3 or just add on to your collection?

4. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm planning to keep both SP3 and S3 if been happy especially if battery life is good enough.
    Since I don't have desktop or laptop and my SP3 is my primary pc/tablet and I'm very pleased from September last year that I have it, just wanted something light and more portable to join the club!

Probably I stay both of them until SP5 next year and Skylake upgrade.
    I believe SP4 will stick with Broadwell and for me its not that I want for upgrading.

dceggert likes this.
  5. PrznMovieFan

PrznMovieFan Pen Pal - Newbie

So this is probably a dumb question, but anyone know how the battery life on either the 64 or 128 model fares against the Dell Venue 11 Pro 5130? Considering trading mine in for the 128 Surface 3, but definitely want the battery to be at least as good if not better

6. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, if we are going to take discounted prices into consideration, the whole Surface 3 setup (128GB model) with a Pen, Type Cover, and Dock would cost you $878.40 with the 10% education discount. There's also the $700 Costco (128GB Surface 3, Pen, and Type Cover) bundle that would come out to $900 with the dock added (unless they have some in-store super bundle). I'm not getting the dock but I did decide to take the educational discount on the S3, Pen, and Type Cover as it is only a couple bucks more than the Costco version and I got to choose the colors for the accessories I wanted. I believe the Costco bundle relies on the silver Pen and dark red Type Cover.

You need a valid *.edu e-mail address to order online or you just need to know someone with a student ID (K-12 and college/grad school).

I don't have any personal experience with either but, in just going off of reviews, the Surface 3 has better battery life (the 64GB and 128GB models have the exact same everything except storage so they will last the same amount of time). In general, the Surface 3 seems to be getting about 8-10 hours of usage on a single charge. Mixed usage (i.e. watching videos, surfing the net, Office, etc.) is about 8.5 hours while video watching only is anywhere between 9-10 hours.

The reviews for the Dell put it lasting at about 6.5 h ours of video playback and 4.5-5 hours of mixed use. That's just the tablet itself though. Connecting it with the keyboard will more than double video playback battery life making it last 14 hours or 10-12 hours of mixed usage. So the Dell has the potential to last longer if you have the keyboard dock, otherwise the Surface 3 lasts longer as-is. Of course you can always purchase a power bank for the Surface 3 for $25 that will double the battery life.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  7. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

Forgot about the Dell. That seems like a good option too, but looking at the prices for it, it's going into Surface Pro territory. Also, did they ever get the pen situation straightened out on the Dell tablets?

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Down to week. Any chance the stores get them early? Will they let us pick them up? Probably not.

9. tp2386

tp2386 Pen Pal - Newbie

If they did i'd be pretty jealous seeing I ordered mine from Microsoft. I'm just hoping I receive mine on the 5th, and it not ship on the 5th.

10. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

I looked into it not too long ago before purchasing my Dell Venue Pro 8. I know it was having issues with the pen, they were so bad it was unusable. But Dell seems to have fixed it so that the pen is at least usable. It's not anywhere near as good as the Surface N-Trig Pen or Wacom styli but it at appears to work accurately 95% of the time.

I have no doubt that stores have been receiving Surface 3's over the last couple of weeks but they will be holding them for May 5th. They have to build up their stocks in order to fulfill pre-orders and have enough leftover for those who walk in that day/week. I'm wondering if they will be doing something special in-store whenever they open up. Get there at 10:00 AM and they have giveaways or something like that.

Well, if it's anything like the Surface Pro 3, Microsoft will be sending it out so that it arrives on the 5th. But I did notice that they are using standard shipping with estimated arrivals between 3-7 business days. That's one of the reasons why I did an in-store pre-order. I didn't want to deal with the store on Tuesday but I also didn't want to potentially wait a week for my order either.