Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

$199.99 more for the S3 desktop dock. Without the dock it would be $780 for the S3 and $850 for the SP3. If one wants the dock, however (me) it is $200 for the S3 and $125 for the SP3 making them $980 and $975 respectively, that is the wash I was referring to.

2. tp2386

tp2386 Pen Pal - Newbie

He's adding in the dock also. He found a SP3 dock for $125 while the dock for the S3 is $199.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I agree with Dan with regard to factory refurbs...>>

+1. I don't do a lot of refurb buying, but what I have done mirrors Dan's experience. Note, however, that items may not be totally pristine! I have seen my share of items with the occasional scratch or scrape, but the defects have always been minor and purely cosmetic (that is, no damage that would have impacted operational use in any way)...

4. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

It does, the keyboard just doesn't properly cover the SP3's display. The Power Cover doesn't work with the Surface 3 as a battery, only the keyboard and trackpad work with the Surface 3. At this point though, I would rather just carry a power brick. They are inexpensive (~$25) and hold enough to either fully recharge the Surface 3 or almost fully recharge it while taking up about the same amount of space as a Galaxy Note 4.

5. dceggert

I think I made a decision...( :rolleyes: let's see if it sticks)...I am going to stay with the Surface 3 idea. Why? I value thin and light and I really do not appear to need the power of the Surface Pro 3. I had one once and did not keep it. So....for now, that is the plan!

Bronsky and excalibur1814 like this.
  6. dceggert

Anyone know what size portable battery pack to get in anticipation of this device? According to the rumor (and I will say it is a rumor because some reviewer claimed it was seen in a CNN video and reported on via Twitter by some unnamed third party) the battery is 27.5 W-hrs. The portable battery packs are rated in mA-hrs. Since Watts are V*I it would be 27.5 W-hrs/5 volts to give me 5.5 A-hrs or 5500 mA-hrs.

Do I just need a pack in excess of 5500 mA-hrs to charge it up or do I need 2x that?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  7. tp2386

tp2386 Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone who pre-orders from Microsoft this week gets 2000 Bing reward points. I tried to get them to honor my pre-order from last week but they said they couldn't. I'd have to cancel my pre-order, then re-order.

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Anyone know what size portable battery pack to get in anticipation of this device?...>>

...Technically, you can choose any external battery that provides 5V at about 3 A. The capacity of the battery will determine how long it can extend the run time of the S3. Tentatively (because I'm still testing mine), I can recommend the Tekkeon MP3300, a 36 W-hr Li-Poly battery. They're selling for ~$27 at NewEgg.

Important qualifications: The batteries are old (discontinued) production (which accounts for the low price). So far, my MP3300 appears to be operating normally; that is, it appears to exhibit the expected capacity and run time. Also, you will need to buy a $5 adapter (UA-U11) from Tekkeon to convert the usual barrel adapter tip to a micro USB. Why is this battery worth the trouble? Because it has variable voltage output from 3 V up to 14 V with output current up to 3.5 A (likely at the lower output voltages). That makes it suitable for use with scores of battery-operated devices, not just 5V devices...

Bronsky and dceggert like this.
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I have a small 5v, 22W-hr "power bank" brand Li-Pol battery that I carry as a back up for my phone. I have never used it. Neither my phone nor my M80TA have ever needed recharging when I could not get to an outlet. With mUSB charging on the S3, it could be a backup if I ever need it.

dceggert likes this.
  10. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

This is quickly justifying my thoughts of needing a power bank. Dumb iPhone 5 having such crummy battery life was having me consider buying one, but now with the idea of having ultimate portability without the fear of looking for a power outlet, I can indeed have liberation from the power outlet!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.