Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Even with Baytrail,werent there different SKUs with slightly better performance? I wouldnt be surprised if the Cherry Trail has this type of branding going on. The Toshiba Encore 2 Write was a good machine, but it was REALLY anemic, even for a Baytrail standards it was pretty slow.

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I preordered my Surface Pro 3 last year. It did not look promising on the day before the big event as I had not received any shipping information from MS. In the late evening I received an email saying my unit had shipped out next day air. I worked from home the next day and to my surprise it was at the house at 9:30 in the morning.

If the Surface 3 does not show up on 5-May I will be surprised.

I hope this helps!

tp2386 likes this.
  3. dceggert

I know....it depends what thread you post this in but all I can think is 'good golly, now what?'

Why the 'what?'...I just discovered the Microsoft outlet on eBay. Refurbished Surface Pro 3's with i5 and 128 GB for $799.99. They include the pen, a year warranty, and free shipping.

So now...the Surface 3 is $600 + $50 with a pen. That is just $150 more for the SP3.

Must stop looking...must stop looking...must stop.....

Edit: now there is an even bigger discovery. Surface Pro 3 with black type cover for $850. That is the i5/4GB/128 GB machine, pen, and black type cover for $850.

The opposing candidate is the Surface 3 with pen and type cover for $600+$50+$130 = $780.

Now the difference is down to $70. For that I would get an i5, a real SSD, Win 8.1 Pro, slightly larger screen, and the infinite hinge. But it is contrary to the size I want this to go and an Atom and eMMC storage is fine for me now. This is giving me a headache....

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  4. tp2386

tp2386 Pen Pal - Newbie

^I kept going back and forth for a few days, but eventually the portability, micro usb and the free office 365 for a year swayed me towards the S3. The SP3 is really nice but deep down I knew it's more powerful than what I need on a day to day basis.

5. dceggert

Yup, I agree. The SP3 would also have a fan. My headache continues. I also found an SP3 dock for $125. That puts the total SP3 package at $975 and the S3 total package at $980. A cost wash!

6. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

You're not scared of a refurb a bit?

7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I've bought a few devices personally refurbished without much issue. My Yoga RT was great(in terms of working without being sent to Lenovo) and I got that from the Lenovo outlet page.

8. dceggert

No, not a bit. Most of my devices were purchased as refurbished. They actually get more attention than the production devices. Also, MS seems to warrant these for a year as opposed to 90 days everywhere else. I have actually had less issue with refurbished devices than I have with the original builds.

Production - glued, screwed, and snapped together, wrapped, packaged, and shipped.

Refurbished - Inspected, tested, repaired if necessary, booted to an exterior OS, thoroughly tested, replatformed, wrapped, packaged, and shipped.

Randall Garrett likes this.
  9. Randall Garrett

Randall Garrett Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the MS Outlet tip, Dan! I'm passing this along to my customer base

FWIW, I agree with Dan with regard to factory refurbs. I have long has similar results due, I believe, to the very factors he points out. Unfortunately for most of my Enterprise type customers, they are not able to purchase factory refurbs, and most of my individual customers just go straight to the retail/on-line channel :-(.

About the only negative I've seen recently on business class devices has to do with some of the Q584s through the factory outlet..

-Randall Garrett-
    +Apex Software+

/end/

10. gedumer

gedumer Pen Pal - Newbie

Where did you get the $980.00 price for the S3? You meant $780.00... right? Not exactly a wash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.