Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea, in many situations I feel math is required to make basic informed decisions/judgements.

I'd say it does and it doesn't. Most of the math courses beyond that are proof oriented. Instead of using the math to compute things you prove many of the theorems and such that were used in the lower level courses.... The most "painful" math calculations I did as a student were in my Physics courses (I was a Math/Physics dual major as an undergrad).

I think the most difficult (tedious, error prone) part of math calculations is almost always the algebra. There is usually a heavy dose of algebra in all analytical math. Matrices basically are algebra (linear, many variable), and you generally have to do a significant number of algebraic manipulations in calculus and such.

2. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

Cool. I have a BS in physics with a math minor and a MS in physics. I'm starting classes for a PhD program in Applied Math and Scientific Programming this fall. I'm a Test Analyst for various types of technologies so statistics is my most needed area of math despite being my least favorite. You're right, the basics like algebra and trig are what you use most, but if you do a lot of data analysis, you may find yourself doing more. I've never used Abstract Algebra, but Numerical Analysis pops up here and there. And I agree so much with the statement about tablets like the Surface 3 making life in school easier. That's why I'm so glad this one is coming out this year before I go back. :D

3. Mesosphere

Good luck =)

4. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I stopped by my local Best Buy today and took a look at the Surface 3.

* The screen looks awesome just like the Surface Pro 3.
    * The Surface Pro 3 was at the other end of the counter and the only way I could tell which I was looking at was by the continuously variable hinged kickstand. Not as much size difference here as I expected and the SP3 does not seem as big anymore as I remembered.
    * The i5/128 GB SP3 is only $899. Wasn't this $999 just a little while ago?
    * Loved the dark blue type covers but black looks pretty good too.
    * Pen was smooth and responsive in OneNote and Fresh Paint. Pressure sensitivity also worked well although the heavy pressure lines were not as wide as I expected.
    * Touch scrolling was also good and very responsive.
    * Applications opened very quickly; the overall responsiveness felt quicker than my Elitepad 1000.
    * It was very light and thin (I am used to my Elitepad in the Expansion Sleeve all the time). But, as I already noted, the SP3 is not that much bigger so I am wondering what MS is doing here with the size and aspect ratio of this device. Why make it so close to the SP3?

The only issue I noted is that the device did not shut off when I folded the cover over the screen. The SP3's didn't either so either there is a setting that says not to or it was because they were all plugged in (my guess).

5. WuBoy

That's not really true at all. The Calculus courses just give a you a basic familiarity with tools like derivatives and integrals. The classes that come after that like Partial Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Numerical Analysis, etc... take those tools and apply them in a much more complex fashion. Physics can be very math intensive, but if the math in your undergrad physics courses was more painful than the math in your upper level mathematics courses, your mathematics courses probably weren't that good. That's largely because the math in physics is usually restricted by physical laws. There are no such restrictions in math courses like Abstract Algebra, you basically wind up doing math for the sake of math, which can get to be pretty ugly at times.

Thanks a lot. I'll need it. Balancing a full time job, a family, and grad school should be interesting. But hey, I'm using it to justify purchasing this tablet, so it ain't all bad right. lol

6. Mesosphere

Dunno, sounds like we had different experiences. Maybe your Physics courses weren't that good =P The most cumbersome/difficult linear algebra I did was in Quantum Mechanics.

I never had a math problem that took 20 pages to work though like I did in Physics. I felt like the Physics problems had more involved because you were trying to solve a real problem and real life comes with real life complications. In math things are more easily idealized.

I'm sure the experience varies though. In both cases the true level of complication can get well beyond what is humanly capable of keeping up with if you want to dive deep enough... Really I think that applies to any subject. When something is "easy" it is usually because we have approximated it to the extent to make it seem easy by ignoring all the pesky details. If we really went into the full gory details like we tend to do in physics and math for other subjects they would be unapproachable.

7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

8. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Why is that? I would be interested in your thoughts. I was at BB today and was confused as to which machine I was looking at because they were at opposite ends of the counter. The SP3 is still quite a bit more money than the S3.

S3 128 GB/4GB......$599
    SP3 128 GB/4 GB...$899

9. WuBoy

I see what you're saying, but I think you're conflating two ideas. Physics problems can get to be 20 pages long, but it's not simply because of the complexity of the math used. It's because you have a problem you're trying to solve that has 10 different steps to it and each step requires a different mathematical solution. So I'd agree that problems in a physics class can get to be more drawn out than problems in a math class. However, I'd argue that's something different than saying that the math in a physics class is more difficult that what's in a math class.

For example, you might have a problem in physics that requires going through several stages of differential equations solutions and that might be more involved than any single problem you have to do in a differential equations class. However, each set of differential equations that you work with might be easier to deal with in the physics problem because of simple initial conditions mandated by the physics that wouldn't necessarily exist in a pure math class.

Ultimately, I don't think either of us are wrong, we are just talking about two types of difficulty as problems go. I passed two qualifiers in a physics PhD program, so believe me, I know how ugly those problems can get. lol simply completing the six problems in the first qualifier resulted in a stack of papers that looked like a manuscript.

I know some people will disagree with me, but if money is not an issue, I'd always choose the Pro version over the normal version. The faster hard drive alone is enough for me to want that, plus I'd rather have the extra power even if I may not need it.

That said, if money is an issue as it is with most of the world, the S3 seems to be a very nice option. It won't be as fast, but I'm sure it's not a snail. And most people in the tablet market probably aren't looking to use it to do any heavy lifting, so the lack of power isn't completely relevant.

10. Mesosphere

I agree. Also, what is "difficult". The answer may not be the same for everyone. Generally I found it easier, for example, to figure out the logical step necessary to break through on a proof less difficult that the proper setup of a physics problem and ensuing messyness. But that may be a function of my relative talents at the two things.

Also, it is definitely a function of the chosen problem sets. There are problems in both fields which haven't been solved (by anyone... ever), so both can be made arbitrarily difficult if the professor chooses =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.