Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magicalUnicorns

magicalUnicorns Scribbler - Standard Member

2. tp2386

tp2386 Pen Pal - Newbie

That is why I mainly want it also. The laptop part would be extra for me. The 5th can't get here fast enough.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

What we are talking about here is "portable" solutions, so harkening back to the gold standard of the ThinkPad keyboard is really not relevant. For a single compact solution, nothing trumps the SPro3 and Type Cover.

That's not up for debate...:)

hawkeye62, Bronsky and jnjroach like this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

All I could think of as I fast forwarded through most of the drivel was "did all three of these guys really own Airs?". Why would I listen to anything they had to say?

hawkeye62 and dstrauss like this.
  5. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not really sure what they expect from it. This is supposed to be a lesser model. It's supposed to be closer to a true tablet. The Pro is the tablet/ultrabook hybrid. It kinda seems like they are knocking the S3 because it's not the SP3.

6. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Well, reviewers and their jaded subjectivity aside, here is the tell tale sign there is a change in the wind....

I used to pull my TabletPC out in places like the doctor office while waiting in the room and someone would get around to asking me 'is that an iPad?' These days I get asked 'is that a Surface?'

The self proclaimed expert reviewers are heading to the land of obscurity if they do not get off their bandwagons soon! Also, while I really have nothing against age (I mentor many brand new engineers at work), in a few years I may have styli that are older than some of these people. Why does that matter? They tell me what I should be using to 'entertain' myself? My devices are usually working not entertaining, something the reviewers never even think of!

dstrauss, Bronsky and Randall Garrett like this.
  7. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

You mean you aren't expecting the Surface 3 to spontaneously sprout legs and go through a rendition of "Hello! Ma Baby", you want it to actually work? Nonsense!

The more I read "reviews" that keep coming out, the more I just don't understand. It seems like the people who understand what the Surface 3 is for are giving it high marks. Brad Sams (at Neowin) loved it because he understood it wasn't mean to be a workhorse. He realized that some aspects had to be held back in order to bring costs down. Peter Bright at ars technica seemed think along the same lines and his only mistake was using Geekbench. David Pierce at Wired was all over the map heavily praising the Surface 3 while also stomping all over it. Wired was also able to look past performance issues with the new $1300 compromised notebook but they couldn't with the Surface 3. Some of David's complaints seemed like nitpicking too saying that the display was too big for a tablet and too small for a notebook. But what gets a perfect score from Wired saying that 9.7" (at 4X3) is perfect for browsing the web? You can probably guess.

That weird (or Wired) hypocrisy is found in Cnet's review which tried to paint the Surface 3 in a very negative light by only comparing it to units with Core i5 processors while the new $1300 compromised notebook was compared against two other units with Core M processors. Engadget seemed similarly confused and iVerge is just all over the damn place. They can't seem to make up their minds whether the Surface 3 is a tablet or if it should be a notebook compared against other $1000+ notebooks. But that very compromised $1300 notebook? It is THE future of computers!

gcoupe likes this.
  8. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

Most of the review share the same pattern. They compare surface to laptop, then compare it to tablet, then ignore pen and jump to conclusions.

Surprisingly, it is not as good as a laptop for laptop use cases and it is not as good as a tablet for tablet use. Therefore it is a confusing product. And pen - who needs pen, right? Because all people just type biased opinions on the internet for living.

It's like saying that crossover is not as comfortable as sedan and not as roomy as minivan, therefore it is a confusing product.

Meanwhile MS made billion revenue from SP3. Which is approximately 1 million sold. Compare it with 5 million macs apple sold in the same quarter, and this number includes all macs - from MBA to iMacs. It is actually pretty impressive, keeping in mind that apple distribution chain is so much bigger and MS has had only one product to offer.

I'm sure, S3 will do fine. Not as fine as ipad, for sure, but a lot better than 11" MBA, for instance.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    Bronsky likes this.
  9. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

well, its only 2 weeks away yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sold my SP3 to get this one (since I didn't need the horse power of the SP3) so I am going through surface withdrawal. I do wireless for a living and I have lots of other tablets from android to ipad etc but none of them do everything I want in 1 device like the surface does...

please let the time go by fast.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Bronsky - Right there with you - they give new meaning to "Airheads!" I finally got a chance to play with an S3 at Best Buy, and despite being a power junky (love my SPro3), the only mistake MS made in this edition was not making the third stage setting of the stand fold as far back as the SPro 3 for better writing experience. That last stage is still to "upright" for comfortable writing.

Dan - your comment about "is that a Surface" brought tears to my eyes - I had the same questions at our local Starbucks. We are making great progress...

And Allarih - if it truly is a 1:5 ratio of Surface to MacBooks - MS may be winning the war! Can't wait to see what the Spro 4 has up its sleeve.

hawkeye62 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.