Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

1. gaidin43

gaidin43 Pen Pal - Newbie

I am actually hoping for a clamshell like device case. One that has a very good Logitech style keyboard along with battery backup power for the surface. This would make traveling with it a lot easier and pulling it out to be productive and actually use the keyboard straight away instead of having to make sure you had a spot to set up the stand and flip cover.

Something like these with expandable ports would be sweet.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429537650.904538.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429537725.541966.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...One thing that can get me lapability with the S3 is a case. Does anyone know of a good "lapability case" that is likely to be made for the S3?..>>

...Interestingly, I was at my local Micro Center yesterday (I had to lug a desktop PC in for service... story for another day), and after talking to a repair tech, I walked over to the Microsoft counter to see if they had a Surface 3... which they didn't! However, there were a series of SP3 accessories on display, one of them being a nice-looking black folio cover with elastic loops for the SP3 and its Type Cover. Unfortunately, I didn't pay much attention to it so I can't tell you anything about the brand name or its other features.

It doesn't take much imagination to envision the same folio slightly downsized for the S3.

And, as kornchild says, I fully expect that Microsoft will have at least a small assortment of relevant accessories available next month when the S3 becomes available...

3. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You reckon? I don't think I'd be so sure. Microsoft will probably claim that their telemetry data tells them that 97% of users are happy with the Type Cover, so us 3% who would like a simple flip cover can just forget it...

4. gaidin43

gaidin43 Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't see $130 being worth it for the type cover. If it had a battery back up, then yes. The costs for this thing are so out of wack and set for profit not for actual market cost of things. The type cover should be maybe 50-75 when compared to every other oem keyboard accessory.

5. bugelrex

bugelrex Scribbler - Standard Member

Its true, but I think the problem is more subtle... they simply cannot undercut other PC OEMs 'too much'. The intent of the surface line is to 'lead' the OEMs into higher quality designs, not to become the bulk of PC sales

6. NotBatman

NotBatman Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah I really wonder how they get away with this. In the store I was thinking, this really doesn't feel like a $130 piece of hardware.

Anyway I think i'll have to pass on the surface, there's not enough pros for that price (seems to be a common theme among tablets these days). I was back in the MS store to make sure, and one thing that bothered me was unzipping a 100mb zip file, it sort of took forever. Maybe 2 minutes or more, I unzipped the same file at home on my SSD and it was about 10 seconds.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  7. kyh

kyh Pen Pal - Newbie

If you tried other mobile keyboards and new MacBook' keyboard, you may appreciate type cover much more. The typing experience of type cover is much better than those cheaper Bluetooth keyboards, and even the new MacBook.

$130 is definitely expensive, but there is no cheaper alternatives which can offer a similar typing experience in such a thin profile. The closest one may be Logitech ultrathin keyboard cover for iPad($100).

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Microsoft will probably claim that their telemetry data tells them that 97% of users are happy with the Type Cover...>>

...And they'd be right. Unfortunately, no OEM can cover every market "desire," and third-party suppliers need to see a business case that closes with a positive net present value...

<<...there is no cheaper alternatives which can offer a similar typing experience in such a thin profile. The closest one may be Logitech ultrathin keyboard cover for iPad($100)...>>

...Well, there is the upcoming thin LogiTech BT keyboard that was announced a couple of weeks ago. It can't be attached to the S3, but it might still be a viable alternative to the Type Cover...

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...yboard-for-android-and-windows-devices.66066/

9. kyh

kyh Pen Pal - Newbie

Mobile CPUs are nowhere near the desktop CPUs. If you look at the PASSMARK benchmark, atom only has 1/2 power of mobile core i5, and 1/6 power of desktop i7.

But i didn't expect 2 minutes vs 10s, should be 1 minute vs 10s.

10. NotBatman

NotBatman Pen Pal - Newbie

Could have been less, I was distracted, a lot of people around and trying to not let on I was installing programs. But it felt like about 2 minutes.