Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

These are the education prices, eh? They are still $499 and $599 on the site at normal pricing.

2. tp2386

tp2386 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just checked. Still $449 and $539 for me. I'm in the US. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

3. tp2386

tp2386 Pen Pal - Newbie

I didn't think about that. That's weird though because I never clicked on the education link. Sorry guys.

4. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

If you have the educational discount as a part of your Microsoft ID that is the pricing that shows without noting it is a discount.

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Maybe the education store? It offers 10% discount.

Edit: nvm, double ninja'd.

upload_2015-4-19_19-15-7.png

6. milkytoast

milkytoast Pen Pal - Newbie

This thing looks amazing, and I do want one...
    I do want one, I just picked up a thinkpad yoga s1 first gen, for $553 (i5 4200,8gb ram, 128mb ssd, wacom pen) and I am seriously thinking about returning it for an S3. even though it has less ram and arguably less of a CPU, one less USB port, a pen that requires batteries and would cost $220 more (with keyboard and pen.) I think I want it for the portability, it is 2 pounds lighter, USB charging, fanless design, 2 hours more battery life, newer hardware and not messing with the yoga hinge.

There are just to many unknowns with the surface for me like with the kickstand vs full laptop mode of the yoga. Can I get along with the battery powered n-trig over the wacom pen or will I be mad when I forgot to buy AAAA batteries and I want to draw? Is 4GB ram good enough for wings3d, autocad, solidworks, Unity3d and various drawing programs while skyiping? Is the fanless design going to clockdown if I unwind over a game of kerbals? I did just upgrade from an ativ 500T, do I miss that thing's portability or am I just not used to the yoga yet?

What makes me want to buy this is that I could experiment with usb solar charging on a full pc... maybe get it to integrate charging into the type cover. close it and let it charge for the day. or put them on back to help maintain the charge over the day of use. yes it requires 14W to charge, but if it was in sleep mode it could charge of 2.5W... I think

TL;DR: the surface is a nice machine but it has some limitations I'm not sure I could handle and I wonder how hard it would be to rig up solar charging on this thing.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I have a small battery that I use as an emergency back up for my phone (I have never needed it yet). You could just charge one of those from a solar charger and keep your S3 topped up when it travels in a backpack or briefcase.

The S3 and that Yoga are very different devices Although the X7 is a more powerful Atom, it is still an atom. I would be careful about over-estimating its capabilities.

Mesosphere likes this.
  8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Sooo.... lapability is very important to me. One thing that can get me lapability with the S3 is a case. Does anyone know of a good "lapability case" that is likely to be made for the S3?

With the SP, I was never willing to consider putting a case on it. Dissipating heat was already something they struggled with while bare metal naked. Putting an insulator around it (the case) in addition to possibly restricting airflow to the heat sink was a no go for me (I despise using hot, or even warm, devices). With the fanless S3 though, a case might be an option... particularly one that is easily removed for slate use.

Do any case users for the SP1-3 or S RT know of any good cases that are likely to be made for the S3?

9. Canuck

Canuck Pen Pal - Newbie

If anyone in Canada is looking, the Canadian Costco.ca site has added the Surface 3 bundle (128GB + pen + type cover) for $928.99 CAD. Saves about $50 CAD off of the regular price of $769+$160 + $50 = $979 at the Canadian Microsoft store.

10. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

My experience with cases with my SP2 hasn't been great. I had one, it was faux leather and it completely covered my SP2 except for the vents. Its flap cover even housed my Power Cover just fine so everything fit well. But the stupid case also completely covered the kickstand so it couldn't be used. Instead I had to rely on their kickstand which opened to a single position and was made of flimsy cardboard. I tried Incipio's case for my SP2 as well and it didn't quite fit, I also couldn't use my Power Cover with it. There was one project on Kickstarter I saw, it was a case for the SP1/SP2 that promised to turn it into more of a laptop. I never bought the case simply because the last two I had were awful.

Plus I discovered that I could flip my Power Cover back completely, open my SP2's kickstand to the second position, and use my SP2 comfortably in my lap without any issues (though I had to rely on the virtual keyboard). It was comfortable and productive enough that I could answer e-mails, make a few edits on a Word document, surf the net, etc. I didn't do any serious work like that but it was fine for day-to-day use. I messed around with the Surface 3 and it can be used in that same position.

Microsoft did say that they were working with more accessory partners with the Surface 3 so we could see more options. The S3 doesn't have any vents either so case manufacturers might be more willing to try something new. I would actually like to see a water proof case so I could take my Surface 3 to the beach or by the pool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.