Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotBatman

NotBatman Pen Pal - Newbie

PCMag review

"One area where the Surface 3 leads the pack, however, is in battery life. On our rundown test, the Surface 3 lasted 9 hours 52 minutes, just a few minutes shy of the 10-hour mark. That's more than enough to leave home in the morning without a charger, and carry the tablet through a full day of work meetings or school classes without ever having to worry about losing power. The Surface 3 outlasts the competition; the Toshiba Encore 2 Write comes closest (9:03 on the same test), with the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (8:55) clocking in just a bit behind. Our other comparison systems died hours sooner."

But they don't seem to give their method. Anyway I was wondering, could lowering resolution improve battery life? I would think at times it would be preferable for performance etc.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yea. I think that is confusing. I don't see the X7 Atom as any match for a Core M. Still, the Atom is quite powerful and looks like a big improvement over Atoms of the past. I've had to live through the Z570, N2600 and finally the Z3740. The extra power, graphics improvements and the addition of 4GB RAM has me looking forward to the S3.

3. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Unfortunately, like many, I live in a country where there are no such things as Microsoft bricks and mortar stores. Having said that, I'm prepared to pay the premium for the pen, knowing full well that in a few month's time deals will start showing up everywhere. But paying 150 euros for the Type Cover still strikes me as a gouge too far.

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

But just think, you're paying with Euros that are worth half what they were a few years ago.:rolleyes:

5. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

The Z3795 with 4 GB is pretty snappy for everyday tasks so this X7 should be great!

6. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yet, despite this, the rule of thumb that is the switching of the dollar sign for the euro symbol on prices here still seems to hold true. Why is that, I wonder?

7. tp2386

tp2386 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm still trying to figure out if the base model will be enough for me. I'm definitely not worried about the 64GB of space since I can use an SD card for my music/videos. I'm more concerned with the 2GB of ram. I'd probably use plex to watch videos, fresh paint, browse the web, use one note, a pdf program, and play some non graphic heavy games like sudoku, crosswords, solitaire, etc. Would I be pushing it with the 2GB of ram?

8. kyh

kyh Pen Pal - Newbie

You should be fine with 2G ram. I had a ThinkPad 8 tablet with 2G ram, and it handled those tasks pretty well.

9. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

You will be fine running those tasks one, maybe two at a time. My vivotab note 8 struggles with excel + spotify or chome with 4 or 5 tabs at a time. Even idle with nothing open in the background, the OS will consume 700-1000mb of ram. Open 5-6 chrome tabs, or even a modest spreadsheet + OneNote can cause a lot of paging to slow eMMC storage.

Thankfully, by nature of the small display, multitasking won't be something you probably do a lot of. Even with that said, I will never buy a 2GB x86 windows tablet again. Even though I don't engage with multiple apps at the same time on my little tablet, I don't want to be constantly closing things just to open something else at a reasonable speed. The 2GB version should be viewed as the true, modern UI successor to the Surface2 while the 4GB variant is a Surface Pro3-lite.

10. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I agree, I just really wish there was a way to get the power cover to work with the S3/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.