Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The weight both intrigues me as well but to better illustrate a specific point
    To add to that list

Surface 3 (10.8).......620g
    Asus Transformer Mini (10.1).....535g

The point being.......the Asus Transformer Mini is the only 10-inch windows device below the 600g weight threshold to have a kickstand (full, not limited at that)......If not for that tablet having a kickstand and setting precedent....I would actually be somewhat concerned this Surface 4.....might not have a built in kickstand given its weight.

Another interesting feature is the resolution. Usually when 10-inch gets thrown around....its a generalization. But from established devices....a 10-incher usually is either a 9.7, 10.1, 10.6, or a 10.8

Asus Mini - (10.1) 1280x800
    Thinkpad 10 (10.1) (1920x1200
    Surface 3 (10.8) 1900x1280
    Galaxy Book (10.6) 1920x1280
    Galaxy Tab S3 (9.7) - 2048 x1536

But a Surface 4.....at a 1800x1280.....much like how the Surface 3 broke the mold and created the 10.8 size screen....and apple further broke the mold with 10.5........this Surface 4 might actually be legit 10.0.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Any thoughts to taking back the Pro?

S3 keyboard is probably too large.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  3. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

If they're nice they've made it so the connection points line up so you at least have the option. You might recall that the SP3 keyboard worked with the SP4 even though they were different sizes.

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I would assume that the connection points will fit. It will just be overall a bit larger. I need a new keyboard anyway.

@dstrauss … check out that weight. I can forget about that gym membership now.

nnthemperor and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  5. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

I look forward to the inevitable posts asking whether someone with light computing needs should buy the new Surface Go for $400 (plus a $99 Type Cover) or get a like-new Surface 3 (4GB/128GB) including a Type Cover for ~$200 from eBay. I'll marvel at the heated debate that will follow about the relative merits of the year old Pentium processor vs. the three year old Atom processor, and SSD vs. eMMC. Then someone will jump in and point out that for the cost of a Surface Go, you could probably get a good as new Surface Pro 4. "But wait", someone will exclaim, "for the same price as the Pentium Gold model you can get a new Surface Pro with an i5!".

Yes, I look forward to at least a few more months of posts right here; this is like the little thread that could.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

1.24 pounds - a full quarter pound less than the first iPad - a mere 0.21 pounds (3.4 ounces) more than the 2018 iPad...

You may just get by without adding Wheaties to your diet...

7. darkmagistric

Actually the tablets themselves were pretty much the same physical size, it was just the screen size/bezel that was changed....but in practice it kept the keyboards interchangeable. It was M\more so for the sake of Pro 3 users *(Like myself) that wanted the significantly better Pro 4 keyboards without getting the Pro 4. But the actually Keyboard Cover connection is unchanged from the Pro 1....so technically you should be be able to use pretty much any surface keyboard with any Surface Pro 1-5. I remember specifically people were using the Pro 2 power or touch cover with their Pro 3s. it sure as heck didn't fit properly, but it was possible. I haven't kept up with that, so they might have broken that cross compatibility with the latest Pro.

8. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

Whoops, I misunderstood the "Launches with its own Type Cover and mouse" to mean that those are included. Add another $100 to the $900 plus tax for the top-end SKU speculated price.

And that base $400 is just for education-qualified buyers, no? The standard price for normal people should be used instead. And... 64 GB in the base model? That shouldn't ever be offered in a Windows 10 Pro machine. :rolleyes: I suppose it's meant for the classroom with locked-down installation & apps.

The rationally-equipped SKUs look to be nice devices, however. ;)

9. darkmagistric

I have to admit....I've definitely thought about it.....but my upcoming month long odyssey aside.....the Larger size Surface Pro would be overall much more useful to me in the long run. I was still using my Pro 3 as my general use laptop for the past 3 years......

oh who am I kidding....I'll probably end up keeping the nSP and spring for the Surface Go as well.....even despite the N-trig tech still being supremely sucky for Art usage.

Bronsky likes this.
  10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

From the Surface FB site -

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.