Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

1. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Donning my fairness cap, it's true that enterprise is Microsoft's target for Surface Pro/Book devices. Small business (e.g. a law practice), freelancers like me who want them for both ("legacy") work and ("legacy") play, and so on are only trickle down extras and shouldn't expect their needs and desires to be given much, if any, weight. I like my SB, my third Surface, but I'm fairly certain it will be my last Microsoft device. For the above reason among others.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

hmm....that makes me think about the Acer Switch 7 and its rather troublesome release.....a few months back it also seemed like they had even considered releasing it without Thunderbolt 3. I wonder if those Thunderbolt 3 related issues you raised played a hand.

But if Thunderbolt 3 so adversely had an effect on Battery Life, stability, and heat/cooling.....I find it somewhat odd that Apple went all or nothing with it for it with their current Macbooks. Macs have always prized themselves on just working as is....as easy as possible.....in which case, going all in to TB3 would seem counterproductive to that goal.

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Just curious, @dellaster , are you experiencing any other issues with your SB1? I had to do yet one more return/replace (5th!) but for 3 weeks things are fine, even with April update. I do find the SSD slowness does rear it's head sometimes, but I found that turning off bitlocker and index searching helped a good bit. I really like the machine, but I'm wondering

4. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's doing fine. An occasional quirk where it shows 0% battery 1, disallowing detachment of the clipboard, until I plug it in and then it shoots up to what it really is (e.g. 58% one time). Typical Microsoft, but I otherwise am still pleased with my SB. It does everything I want it to do and does it well enough, both work and play.

Next time, however, I'll just go for a modest Yoga-style laptop, 3:2 if possible, no penabling needed, with MX150 or successor. That's my sweet spot, I've determined. And it will not be from Microsoft. It might not even run Windows, except perhaps in dual boot (locked down via group policy for no updates EVER) to run my favorite games.

5. lovelaptops

I agree, but I do use the pen. In 1-2 yrs $1,000 will buy a quad core Spectre/Meltdown-free yoga-style, though I do prefer detachable. And that should have 16GB RAM, 512GB PCIE/NVME SSD(replaceable), with far faster transfer rates - mine is 1500/350 sequential, 36/95 4K, deplorable, and far better wifi (also replaceable) - Surface "Marvel" is anything but a marvel! It gets 250mb/s download on a Gigabit connection. Thus, a far, far better machine than the SBs we just bought for $800. But take a closer look:

1) At that price, it will not have nearly equivalent quality of keyboard, display or touchpad
    2) It may have competitive battery life, simply from Intel 9th/10th gen improvements, but I doubt it will be better
    3) May or may not have detachable tablet - but with 2-3 hr batt life, the SB's tablet, which I love, has limited use value.

Like more and more of my attitude about MS, I have a love/hate with their hardware. This is also my 3rd Surface product. It galls me that the SSD is so slow and the wifi card even slower and I think I will probably replace this device because it fails, not because I'm ready to upgrade (I went with the Square Trade warranty, as it was only $91 for 3 years and I keep hearing MS is getting stingier and stingier on Complete replacement practices.

But here's my bottom line: for now, I couldn't enjoy a basic productivity laptop more than my SB and though I could get a decent refurb Thinkpad for about the same price as my refund for this SB ($850) but it would feel like a huge step down. Thus I pray (figuratively) that it will continue to provide good service for at least a year because I'm spending obscene amounts of money to move to a new home and I couldn't possibly replace this wonderful piece of kit with something as versatile and pleasurable to use for less than twice the price! (And I have you to thank, @dellaster , for alerting me to the great deals on the SB closeouts - thanks very much!

dellaster likes this.
  6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I not debating that TB3 has purpose and advantages, I'm just pointing out that there are legitimate reasons that some design revisions are made. The beauty of the Windows ecosystem is you have choice in what you purchase. The Surface line will never be for everyone...

Chris_Kez likes this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

But isn't it supposed to be the aspirational device to encourage OEM's - that's the way Panay has always portrayed it, yet it isn't even out of the gate with TB3 yet?

8. jnjroach

I guess Panos doesn't see TB3 has aspirational at this point...but judging from how the OEMs are creating much better machines I guess the Surface still does what it's supposed to do in the market.

9. lovelaptops

Well said, Jeff, but it begs the question: what is the business purpose of the Surface line? It no longer leads in any product or feature though most of its products are in the top tier, but price-adjusted it's really not a competitive line.. It may or may not make a profit contribution to MS' bottom line, but even if it's positive, it can't be material given the size of MS' net income. So, no more "halo" products, not a material contribution to MS finances, what's the point?

10. jnjroach

Anything that I know I can not divulge...but the Surface lines still is doing what is expected of it...and it is at least a $4B line of business for MS. I would say we wouldn't have the 13" and 15" Utlrabooks and 2 and 1's from the OEM if it wasn't for the SB2. The Surface Team also works directly with the OEM team.