Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

I would like to step in and say that if Microsoft Surface continues with Intel processors in going forward in 2019, it will be a big mistake. AMD will be the clear superior offering at that point in time. Here is the technobabble explaining why AMD is the best way forward for Surface in 2019:

Very soon, AMD will be switching to a 6-core building block or CCX (called a core complex) in 2019, and presumably 8-core CCX in 2020, both on 7nm. That means in 2019, their upcoming server and HEDT processors will be up to 48-core (4 dies, with two 6-core CCX per die), their mainstream desktop processors up to 12-core (1 die, with two 6-core CCX per die), and their mobile and desktop APUs will be up to 6-core (1 die, with one 6-core CCX and one GPU per die).

This mobile and desktop APU, codenamed Picasso, will therefore feature up to 6 cores and 12 threads. Characteristic of AMD, it will also feature much more powerful integrated graphics than Intel can ever muster. This is all thanks to their superior 7nm process, which GlobalFoundries says is targeting a 5 GHz clock speed over he 3 GHz that their current 14nm and 12nm processes target. Thanks also to the >50% die size reduction inherent to this process, we will be seeing >40% performance and >60% power improvements versus current AMD processors.

AMD’s Zen architecture already goes toe to toe with Intel and this despite that GlobalFoundries’ 12nm and 14nm processes which Zen is produced on are known to be inferior to Intel’s 14nm++. This means the Zen architecture’s operational efficiency is picking up the slack of the GlobalFoundries’ 12nm and 14nm process defiency. However, once Zen is given legs with a process technology superior to the competition, it will fly like a space shuttle. So, as you can already surmise, once given a 7nm process as its foundation, Zen 2 AKA Ryzen 3 in 2019 will be a bulletproof, rockstar architecture.

That is why AMD’s stock is at an 11-year high. More industry leaks from AMD are making the circles and long-term investors are already seeing what is sizing up to be the biggest shake-up in the industry since the Athlon and Athlon 64 era. Intel has literally nothing up their sleeve that will be able to stand up to Zen 2/Ryzen 3. Meanwhile, AMD has everything in place to become the most powerful x86 processor maker of 2019 and beyond across all workloads and platforms.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 9:04 AM
    bloodycape and Telstar1948 like this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

With all these leaks and hints about the Surface 4, I wish someone would confirm the CPU type. Y series please.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

:oops::oops::oops:

You are on a roll today, aren't you...;)

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Guess I was bored when that one showed up.
    Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

Not saying it isn't possible, but in all honesty TB3 drivers have been pretty buggy and does impact overall design and battery life. Every engineering project is a list of compromises and every decision will piss someone off by them making it...

6. dstrauss

As you know, I'm a manufacturer's/seller's worst nightmare, but the TB3 experience on the Dell and HP devices have been pretty solid (including dock support and video out) - it was the rest of the package that was generally a disappointment (pen; internal video; overheating) - but perhaps that was other compromises necessitated by the TB3???

7. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

... I don't think many people get pissed off when they get more options (e.g. TB3 and a regular USB-3 or two). And maybe it's just me, but I haven't heard much in the way of complaints about TB3 compared to, say, the Surface Connector and its dock. :rolleyes:

8. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

Overheating seems the biggest as well as BSODs related to external GPUs

That's good, my experience has been mostly around external GPU bluescreens and thermals. With the Surface Dock, there has been some issues and that directly has to do with the fact the had to patch the USB PCIe Bridge which wasn't anticipated but that was due to a flaw in the Intel USB Firmware that was vulnerable to direct DMA attack. That update required the Dock Firmware Update tool and could cause failures as it interrupted the connection (as the connector uses both USB 3.0 and PCIe for the connection).

9. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

But we're comparing an interface with zero external GPU potential with another that can do everything the first can do, plus has that external GPU potential. Sure, maybe with some issues, but you can think of it as a bonus feature.

Me, I'd want to "waste" it on a very low-powered GPU, just enough for my "legacy" games, so probably no overheating. Regardless, having that potential option would be more attractive than not, even if there are limitations. Does that make sense?

I do understand that Microsoft has lots of business customers who want to extend their Surface Dock investment to yet another generation of Surfaces. And Microsoft would make more money serving that need rather than going with TB3. That's the true bottom line, isn't it?

10. dstrauss

Yes.