Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

1. yuki

yuki Scribbler - Standard Member

chrome consumes A LOT more power than IE, i can confirm this, and
    there are plenty of benchmarks & tests which proove this btw.

one of the reasons i use modern ie on my vaio tap11: due to the better efficiency of ie11 modern, the fan is completly off, on chrome thr fan spims up almost at once.

You did use the modern IE, did you? the better efficiency is very present in the modern, not the desktop ie.

2. kyh

kyh Pen Pal - Newbie

If you stream videos a lot, you will see the difference. Chrome need much more CPU power than IE to play high definition videos.

3. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

My experience has been the opposite with both my SP2 and Dell Venue Pro 8 3000 (of which I'll abbreviate DVP8). The touch version of IE has remained to be more efficient than Chrome consuming less resources (about half the RAM) and not decreasing the battery. My SP2's battery life gets cut down to 5-6 hours when using Chrome but I can go ~8 hours when using touch IE. My DVP8 sees similar numbers. Things were very similar with my MacBook Air when I had that. It was rated for 10 hours of battery life but I would continually see 6-7 hours when relying on Chrome. I switched to Safari and it would push 9 hours of heavy internet browsing.

So far I haven't come across a single situation, aside from my smartphone, where Chrome wasn't responsible for increased battery drain. Plus I don't think Gizmodo's battery test is really accurate. I don't know of many (or any) people (person) that would have at least three tabs open with one refreshing Gmail every few minutes, the other refreshing Twitter every couple of minutes, and the last going through a playlist of 1080p YouTube videos. That seems quite excessive but I wouldn't be surprised if the touch version of IE could have squeaked out 8-9 hours in the same test.

4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

An excellent snippet on battery life:

"Microsoft claims a respectable 10 hours of video playback on the Surface 3 – the same as the Surface 2 – but will you ever see anywhere near that in real use?

Yes you will! Or not at all.

Okay, that doesn’t sound very helpful, but it’s the reality of using many a Windows 8 computer. If you stick with Modern UI apps as much as possible, chances are you’ll have no trouble getting through a full day of work. Once you start loading desktop apps, things are a little iffier.

As with video performance, the difference between Chrome and the modern version of Internet Explorer can be rather startling. With adaptive brightness set to about half intensity (the screen is really bright, so you shouldn’t need more) and Wi-Fi on, a day spent mostly in the touch interface netted me around 8-10 hours of use.

When I spend most of my time using Chrome instead, battery life is closer to the 6-7 hour mark. Throw in some serious Photoshop and Lightroom sessions, and you could be in the realm of 4-5 hours(although my brightness is set higher with those apps)."

jnjroach and cookies4you like this.
  5. cookies4you

cookies4you Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, looks like this outright confirms the fact that Chrome chugs battery life like a truck.

6. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry, not so on my devices. IE 11.0.9600.17690, Update Version 11.0.17. Google Chrome Version 41.0.2272.118m. I purposely switched to IE because of all the hype about power hungry Chrome. No such result after a month on IE.

Regards, Jim

7. yuki

yuki Scribbler - Standard Member

really bizarre - i see the huge difference between ie and chrome on several tablets (incl vivotab 8, vaiotab 11) here everyday.

and you do use the---modern-- ie, not the desktop one, correct?

8. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I support a few thousand Surface Users across multiple sites, Chrome vs. MUI IE typically equates to 4.5-5.5 hours of battery life for Chrome Users and 7-9 Hours for MUI IE users, change it to Desktop IE and it is 6.5-7 Hours. Ironically one of the biggest battery sucks on Chrome (and FF) is the Adblock Plugin...

9. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe you have hit on the problem. I use the desktop version of IE. I will give the metro version a try.

Best regards, Jim

yuki likes this.
  10. gaidin43

gaidin43 Pen Pal - Newbie