Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

We Surface 3 owners are, if nothing else, patient.:newpalm: Interestingly, Samsung just announced that it was committing to an ARM 850 W10 device before the end of the year. Will they make a another 10" tablet with EMR pen but do it right this time? Still, without a kickstand, I am probably still drawn to a new 10" Surface, as long as it is not frightfully underpowered.

lovelaptops and dstrauss like this.
  2. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If I had to guess it may just be an updated Galaxy Tab S3, but with Windows and the new SD850, and hopefully a 256gb storage option at $750 price(pen and keyboard of course included). Then again it could be more like a Windows and SD850 variant of the Chromebook Plus, which could also work for my needs, but again I'd like to see at least a 128gb option standard.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oh god no......as much as I want a 10.6 Galaxy Book 2 with Kickstand/Keyboard cover......I like my side of EMR to go with a main course of at least Core M. That would be just cruel to give us the form factor we want but on ARM.

jhoff80 likes this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Chris_Kez likes this.
  5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Brad Sams is teasing on Twitter that some hardware might be announced this week. Timing-wise, it seems to me that it's about the right time of year to announce an education-focused device (like we've seen rumors about for the Surface 4) and have availability before back-to-school.

"We are going to have some fun this week friends." and "more like hardware royale".

https://mobile.twitter.com/bdsams/status/1006245322253832193
    https://mobile.twitter.com/bdsams/status/1006267597560655877

Edit: False alarm, sorry: " never said new surface hardware this week."

https://twitter.com/bdsams/status/1006362579973955588?s=20

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I am so SICK of commercial "teases" - on the internet or TV, that I want to puke. Are they so deparate for eyeballs that they'll do anything to log a click or viewer? Try watching ABC nightly news with David Muir sometime. He'll have a news item he will tease for 10 seconds every commercial break - it pops up at the end of the news with the "tease" line as the first line and then MAYBE 2-4 more sentences of information - THAT's ALL.

Same now goes for Sams and other like him - we need to ignore them even more than we do trolls!

Telstar1948 likes this.
  7. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

The part where I do want to throw something through the TV is when Muir has his own "look at me" commercial extolling himself as a real superhero in the middle of his own show...er...I mean "news." Just what I need, watching a self-serving commercial during the time you're waiting to watch the actual show.

Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well Surface fans, take a deep breath before reading this next article - except for @Bronsky's Surface 4, all of the real action in the Surface space will be in 2019, other than some processor refreshes...:(:rolleyes:

Foley - All About Microsoft

At least she does say the 2019 Surface Pro 6 should be a significant redesign - any chance Wacom? Nahhhhhh...o_O

That GB 12 8gb/256gb order is looking better all the time...

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...all of the real action in the Surface space will be in 2019, other than some processor refreshes...>>

...I'm not surprised. Given all the churn over Spectre, it makes sense that key hardware refreshes would be delayed until new silicon was available. However, with the recent word that even that fix may be inadequate, Fall refreshes might become a little shaky.

Regarding mid-2019 refreshes for Surface Pro, perhaps that was inevitable given the above. But Microsoft is starting to show issues again with time-to-market (IMHO) that I think will be increasingly problematic for their Surface brand. No mention of a folding Surface device while others are clearly on the trail. No Surface / USB-C adapter despite promises that it would be out last year. Two years (plus?) between refreshes of Surface Studio, whose internal components were already relatively dated when it was introduced... I can understand not wanting to emulate Apple's "new year, must be time for a new iPhone" paradigm, but Microsoft needs to fix some of their key Surface products if they expect to stay up with the advancing hardware marketplace.

And, if we're going to be waiting for another year, let's hope that Microsoft spends some serious time polishing and perfecting their pen / inking user experience. I don't agree with the deification of EMR that has been a relatively common undercurrent for years, but it's clear that Microsoft's pen (can it really still be called N-trig any more???) could do with some refinements like lower IAF, more reliable and consistent palm rejection, a more sensible User experience and (especially) fewer inking "interruptions," when pen sensing just goes away, for no obvious reason...

10. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

The timing on this stuff doesn't surprise me. Two things:
    1. As much as we all want the Surface team to pick up the pace, the reality is they are essentially a tiny boutique-- dare I say luxury-- PC manufacturer. Microsoft may be a near-trillion dollar company with 100k workers, but Surface is tiny; not just in Microsoft but in relation to the PC manufacturer space.
    2. Like Apple, the Surface team seems content to take their time and focus on one (maybe two) things at a time; they are fine with milking their existing SKUs for as long as possible until they can (or really need to) make a significant update.