Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Not to keep being the resident pessimist, but one thing to keep in mind is that the IdeaPad is using 'defective' chips. I mean, defective isn't quite right, but the way this works is Intel doesn't have great yields on the high end chips, so they will disable features as necessary until they have something they can sell. (And that happens with lots of product lines, whether it's an Nvidia GPU, an Intel CPU, etc.) But the yield on these is so bad right now that Intel is needing to disable the entire on-chip GPU, which is something they haven't done with any previous products in the last 8 generations of Core CPUs. I'm sure they're practically giving those away to any vendor who will use them. You can't just say "well, take away the GPU and it's $400", because take away the GPU and you have a useless brick. That this is the only saleable SKU they've got so far from Cannon Lake is another sign that they're nowhere near ready for producing 10nm at volume.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

When there was nothing on the horizon, I was fine with it. Now that I know there is likely a replacement for my Surface 3 in the works, I can't stand the lull of information.

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

Chin up; we'll get all the details in 12-16 weeks
    And with my luck it will be the Surface 4 I'd been waiting for and I'll have to explain to the wife why I need to sell the Surface Pro I just bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dellaster likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

“This is not the Surface you are looking for.”
    [​IMG]

Chris_Kez likes this.
  5. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

fivetoedsloth, JoeS and dellaster like this.
  6. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

Wow, that's a great deal! There was originally one more 9 in that price tag. If I had a surface 3 sans dock I would jump on this.

Now I'm hoping for a similar deal on the dock for my Surface Book 1. :D

7. fivetoedsloth

fivetoedsloth Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for that! I just ordered the dock.

I bought a used Surface 3 last week (2gb ram, 64 gb drive) for cheap (my main computer is a surface pro 2017) and am really loving its tiny form factor. It is a nice little note taking device, and i installed clip studio, rebelle 3, nebo, Leonardo, and penbook on it so I could draw using new surface pen, which works great. I love the small form factor and the fact I don’t feel so “precious” about it. This is the tablet I can take outdoors or let the kids draw on without worrying. I love that it can charge by micro usb with the same portable charger I use for my phone.

I am trying to figure out why I find this little device so much more compelling and fun to use than my iPad Air 2. I am thinking it has to do with: kickstand, pen support, full desktop apps, USB and micro sd. I got a galaxy TabPro 2 at the same time, and even though it has a nicer screen, I hate that there is only one USBc port on it, and I have to use the type cover as a kickstand.

Anyway, as underpowered as it is, I still really love this surface 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bronsky likes this.
  8. Bronsky

$20 is an astounding price for the dock. At that price, I would guess that anyone who still owns one of these tablets will have one. The docks were discounted from almost the beginning. I remember getting mine for under $100 within weeks from its release.

@fivetoedsloth … there are a few of us who agree with you completely about the form factor and size. I'm looking forward to the new Surface 3. I don't think I could live with the 2GB RAM though.

9. Bronsky

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member