Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

2. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Congratulations to all the Surface 3 owners who've been waiting for a Surface 4! It looks as if your patience will be rewarded. :D

JoeS, sonichedgehog360 and Bronsky like this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Cannon Lake Y series would be just fine with me.

Wait and Hope.:vbwink:

JoeS, dellaster and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  5. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Let's just hope it's comes with a proper SSD or at the very least a fast latest gen emmc from Samsung. If it really is 8 hours, this could be my next, but at 7 hours I may need to think about it a little, though for not too long if that $400 price is to be true(hopefully base is at least 80gb).

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

UPDATED:
    You can bet if it is $399, the most you'll get for that is 4gb/64gb. Which is crap, even if it has a mSD slot for additional memory. I'd bet that 4gb/128gb will cost you $100 more, and IF they offer 8gb RAM, tack on another $100. $129 for LTE; $80 for keyboard; and now the version you REALLY want is $808...

MJ on Windows Weekly says $150-160 for keyboard cover/case and don't forget $99 for pen, so

$987

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 2:43 PM
    nnthemperor, Chris_Kez and dellaster like this.
  7. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

The strongest reason for Microsoft to put Cannon Lake in the New Surface? Parity with the competition, namely Apple. The A10 Fusion in the iPad absolutely annihilates Atom and Pentium in any task in single-threaded tasks and in multithreaded, there is just no point in comparing given the margin of difference. Atom and Pentium’s architecture is outdated technology that Intel released three years ago that has no place in an upcoming product and should not even enter the development conversation. Releasing and recycling Atom or Pentium would put the New Surface at a distinct disadvantage out of the gate, offer no advantage over the competition who already sell Core M at $400-$600 (see Samsung) and would serve to mar the Surface brand. If Panos Panay and the Surface Team are listening, please do not go cheap. Above all, do not get conned by Intel: Intel has moved to a smaller process, meaning many more dual core dies can be fabricated on and harvested from a single platter meaning greater profits per platter. Do not listen to their excuses about the painstaking financial woes of getting 10nm ramped up for production. Otherwise, kindly remind them that you can go to AMD, who already makes custom x86 processors for your Xbox video game consoles, and who—might I add—have 7-nm already geared up and on schedule for next year, and take your business elsewhere to them. There is no excuse for Intel to continue charging outrageous prices for a dual core in this day and age when Apple can put a premium quad core big.LITTLE processor in their $329 iPad and manage to cut a profit—go big or go home.

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 2:30 PM
    nnthemperor likes this.
  8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As mentioned already, it seems highly unlikely that a budget device would be Core M (though I'd absolutely love that and there would be a possibility that'd bring me back to Surface again).

At a budget price I'd guess a rehashed Atom CPU unfortunately.

I mean, I own a Cube/Alldocube Core M tablet that was something like $330, but Samsung's MSRP on the Book 10 is $630 at 64GB and $730 at 128GB. To my knowledge at least, there's no device available from a real brand name that uses Core M and costs $400-600.

9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

That MSRP has been dropped for some time. Typically, the 64 GB model has been $450-$550 and the 128 GB model $550-$650, including the keyboard and pen. Take away the pen and keyboard and we hit the $400 price point. The same was the case with the last-gen Dell Venue 11 in its base 64 GB Core M configuration, which often cost $450-$550 at Best Buy and online. Come to think of it, what I think I see is Microsoft may be already in the process of distinctly differentiating the New Surface and New Surface Pro lines with the recent changes in memory capacity being the first step in that process. The base Core i5 model now has 8 GB RAM and if the New Surface has Core M, they will likely discontinue the New Surface Pro M3 completely to open the runway as soon as the New Surface is released.

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 3:19 PM
  10. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Fairly sure the Samsung Chromebook Pro starts around $550-600. Sure it's running Chrome OS, but still Core M(with Wacom EMR as a reminder) at that particular price point from a major manufacturer.