Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

Depending on the price, I'm planning to replace my S3 LTE with the Huawei MediaPad M5 8". The Pro version has a stylus and they said we'll have LTE in some models. Other than MS Project, I'll pretty much me set with this for what I need in an ultraprotable. I'd rather have WoA but it sounds like it isn't going to be as feature rich as initially announced so I don't see much benefit other than trying to stay with all MS and it's not that important to me.

Still waiting on my SP USB-C dongle, apparently quite the engineering feat.

2. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Which Lenovo? I take it's the core based Pentium? What's the estimate on battery life? SSD or EMMC?

3. bloodycape

Fairly sure my charger is going bad, what is good alternative to the stock charger? Or where can I get the stock charger for a good deal?

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

There are a bunch of stock replacements on EBay for $12 or so. OEM for a few dollars more. There must be a better solution out there by now.

5. bloodycape

Are you still using your galaxy charger? How is that working out?

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@Bronsky - might want to take a look at this article at Windows Central:

Three years later, is the Surface 3 still worth your time?

His conclusion is great - "Even though it's three years old, the Surface 3 is still in a league of its own in the 10-inch, sub $500 2-in-1 category." But the whole gist of the article reads as if we won't being seeing this again - at least not from Microsoft.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Great Article and I could not agree more. I am approaching the May 5th 3 year mark for my Surface 3. I am still using this tablet as a daily driver. I would love to step up to a Core M or WOA, as I have felt the desire for a bit more power from time to time but I so like the other features of the tablet that I've not been able to pull the trigger on a replacement device. The Galaxy Book 10.6" is the obvious replacement but the lack of docking solution, single USB-C port, orgami case, missing kickstand, and lack of backlighting are real concerns. I've found myself watching EBay and putting in low ball bids on the GB10. I think if I can get one cheap enough, I might just start out with using it as a portable unit and keeping the S3 dedicated to the desktop. I have recently seen used 64GB versions going for $350 and New Open Box or Refurbished units in the $450 range. It's hard to say no at that price. But, the writer of this article has hit the nail on the head. Love his last line: "I hope Microsoft hasn't given up on this sub $500 category because I'd love to see a Surface 4 with updated internals sometime in the future." You and the rest of us.

Interesting that the S3 was the 4th highest selling Surface. I thought that it did not sell well.

revmike and bloodycape like this.
  8. dstrauss

Is that all? :p

JoeS and Bronsky like this.
  9. bloodycape

I agree the lack of a kickstand really hampers the Galaxy Book line for me.

JoeS and Bronsky like this.
  10. dstrauss

Come on guys - a few more Wheaties (and a couple more curls) in the morning and you too can heft that 1.66 pounds with ease...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.