Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

1. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Anyone know anything about these Pac Dot n-trig pens(#1 new seller according to amazon) I am seeing all over amazon, or why now the SP4 pen is going for over $70 in the used market on amazon and ebay? Like is there a reason why Surface Pen prices have gone up and that companies are taking SP3/S3 pens and replacing the top with a buttonless cap and charging like $30 under their own brand?

Update: Went with an open box Wacom Ink as I could not find a Surface Pro 4 Pen for a fair price anymore. Kind of a shame as I have the pen tip kit. How is the tip situation on the Wacom? I've been using the 2H since I pretty much got the pen(well 3 months after I got the pen but close enough). I take tips aren't compatible, but is there a 2h like pen?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

southdunes likes this.
  3. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd be interested in a SD845 based Surface 4, pending it's not using and EMMC drive. Also, really likeing the Wacom pen's feel over the SP4/Book pen.

JoeS likes this.
  4. Bronsky

On a whim, I tried to cherry pick a slightly used Galaxy Book 10.6" today but lost the auction.:vbrolleyes: Still hoping for some news about the Snapdragon 845/WOA at MWC but I guess my patience is wearing thin.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

With all of Microsoft's recent revelations about WoA limitations, I think we are getting treacherously close it being no more than Windows RT/S Plus territory, and not really a Windows alternative. I doubt evne teh 845 will outperform the i3 in the GB 10.6, much less my GB12...:(

PS - keep pushing that Buy Now Button and you'll soon have your GB10.6 (might look for refurbs at the BB and BHPhot sites as well).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  6. Bronsky

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@Bronsky - It is really not much of an "upsizing" to move from Surface 3 to Surface Pro, with an outstanding increase in functionality. The i5 will be a powerhouse compared to your Surface 3, and you are adding 5 oz and 25mm x 13mm (LxW) - actually a tiny bit thinner. Its a tough call because the vendors all seem stuck in slow motion thanks to new(er) chips and slow roll out of WOA...

southdunes and Bronsky like this.
  8. Bronsky

Yea. These prices are making it hard to say no. I almost snagged a Galaxy Book 10.6 for $450 the other day. But, an M3 would currently cost less than my original Surface 3 and will come with a full warranty that can be upgraded to complete care. Microsoft is making it difficult. Smart timing too, just before MWC.

And, of course there is always this leaning in favor of the Surface Pro:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    Chris_Kez likes this.
  9. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

If you're willing to purchase from eBay, I can vouch for this item and seller - SP4 i5/8/256 for $725 shipped:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Surface-Pr...429271?hash=item1ed994d797:g:YDwAAOSwBp9aXS3C

Purchased one about a month ago and was exactly as described. New in open box, no cycles on the battery.

Yep. Having owned both a Surface 3 and Surface Pro's 3/4/2017, it wasn't difficult moving from the 10" tablet to the 12". Benefit of performance gain quickly outweighed any adjustments needed. I personally still want the above specs in a 10" tablet, but that's just me.

10. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is truly frustrating to not see a true successor to the S3. I’m just lucky to have one with Verizon cellular model.
    What the the heck are the MS engineers up to?
    Surely they can’t be in this long a slumber?

nnthemperor, Bronsky and JoeS like this.