Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...a thought just hit me: unscrew in the opposite direction I've tried so far...>>

...At this point, there's no harm in trying, but all the pens that I have tried have a normal (not reversed) thread; that is, the nose piece unscrews just like a nut on a bolt.

However, JoeS brings up a point; your photo shows a two-button pen, whereas every Surface Pen that I can recall only has one button; is it this pen...?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0716LK55W/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1

2. crp852

crp852 Pen Pal - Newbie

S3 pen.png No, it isn't that pen. Its the Microsoft-branded pen with the purple cap, from when the S3 & SP3 first came out:

3. Steve S

<<...Its the Microsoft-branded pen with the purple cap...>>

...Wow. I just sold my SP3 and didn't remember! Senior moment, for sure!!

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Has Intel pushed out its fixes for the Meltdown and Spectre flaws through Windows Update yet? The performance of my X7-Z8700 Atom seems much slower than normal these days.

bloodycape likes this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Nah, they just decided to let Apple do the power management for a while...:rolleyes:

6. Steve S

<<...Has Intel pushed out its fixes for the Meltdown and Spectre flaws through Windows Update yet?..>>

... @Bronsky : I'm not sure that they have. The Windows update that was issued immediately after the news broke preceded the news that Intel was starting to issue patches for their hardware... so that fact would make it seem unlikely that the Windows fix incorporated any kind of Intel content. But on the other hand, Intel, Microsoft and others had been working on the problem before the news broke... so maybe the Windows patch did contain Intel content...???

Either way, I'm not sure that I've seen any firmware installs... so that makes me think that there is more to come.

Finally, there was the belated announcement that a "unique" fix had been developed by somebody or other that could address the whole problem. Perhaps all the updates have been put on hold while this approach is examined to determine its merits and applicability...?

Bronsky likes this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

My trusty atom is starting to feel its age. If only the Samsung galaxy Book 10 didn't have that Orgami case and stand instead of a kickstand. I use the Surface 3 quite a bit without the keyboard/cover in kickstand mode. While at home, my S3 streams the Grand Tour on Amazon Prime to my family room TV. This waiting is even getting to me.

bloodycape and dstrauss like this.
  8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Boys... or should I say Boyz...

jvloyola and Bronsky like this.
  9. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd also add another usb-c port, and bigger battery. Maybe the 8th gen Intel variant will fix all of this.

10. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I feel you. Keep eyeing the Galaxy book 10.6 on eBay, but something keeps telling me to hold off a little more, something great is on the horizon. I just need a 10" surface device that's not Atom powered.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

ships10 and Bronsky like this.