Surface 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by yuki, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Would love to see WOA version of the Surface 3. 20 hour battery life and LTE. In fact, I have often considered getting an LTE version of the Surface 3.

ships10, nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I disagree with Daniel on this one. Users are going to notice these appear to be the same processors as in their phones, and are going to resist paying a premium price, ESPECIALLY when these devices DON'T get 20 plus hours (except in standby).

[There are no Snapdragon phones out there that can go 20 hours, and if all they are saying is they can loop a video that long, then that is very underwhelming. It has a whiff of Netbook 2.] I take this one back - obviously with the huge amount of battery relative to a phone, this SHOULD work, but if the masters of smoke and mirrors at Apple can't get more than 10 hours out of them, I really have my doubts here.

However, it could succeed as a secondary device that is a competitor to the iPad Pro - but even there, if my iPad Pro can't make it past 10 hours of real use, what are the odds the Snapdragon will while shouldering Windows 10? This will be a good addition to the arsenal (especially with my Courier), but this is not going to be the future of mobile computing, at least not in the next five years.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  4. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm terrible at guessing what's going to be big in technology. After saying, "who would even use bitcoin" a few years ago, I've thrown out my crystal ball. I know what I want: 8" screen that runs MS Office, Windows Ink, LTE. Basically if they stuck Windows Phone into a small tablet, added a stylus, it would have been perfect for me. Was hoping to see Apple make a mini pro or Samsung bringing the s-pen to the 8" tablets, but I guess the market isn't there.

For a laptop, I really don't see me using one of these machines but if the storage and speed are where they match an i7 and was more portable (don't need a power supply), I'd give it a shot. So I'm with you, as a companion device, at least from what we know now, it's probably a good bet.

I'll have more faith in MS when I get my SP USB-C dongle.

dstrauss likes this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Another CES has come and gone and I'm no closer to replacing my Surface 3. WOA looks promising but I have to question the placement in the market as an alternative to the Pro 2 in 1s. So the choices for an S3 replacement seem to be limited to a Galaxy Book 10 or the new Thinkpad tablet 10. There's always Andromeda or Samsung X on the distant horizon.

nnthemperor and dellaster like this.
  6. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member

I wouldn’t at all be surprised if we are sitting here a year from now still waiting for those two devices to show up. I hope I’m wrong. :p

Bronsky likes this.
  7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

...we couldn't even be bothered to open a separate thread for it.

@TrumpTweets

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

How true on both counts:
    • If MS drops the ball one more time (as in CES NEXT YEAR before this is for real) they will be another generation behind Samsung and Apple and may as well kiss off their whole mobile ambitions and just limp along providing Android/iOS software to try to connect to their services - good luck with that.
    • Kuma - never even thought about opening a CES thread - that speaks VOLUMES about how lame this one was (although the new Kaby Lake G processors with AMD dGPU have promise, IF they don't melt the laptop cases).

9. crp852

crp852 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just like bread always falls with the buttered side down:
    My pen fell out of the loop on my S3 onto a tile floor - nib first. The nib broke off below where the shaft enters the barrel of the pen (if I stick a pin in, I can feel plastic, but can't see anything). Any suggestions on how I can extract the remaining portion from the pen?

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Any suggestions on how I can extract the remaining portion from the pen?..>>

...The most direct method is to see if you can unscrew and remove the nose of your pen. I've never attempted to take apart a Surface pen, so I don't know if the nose can be removed. However, I have disassembled N-trig pens, and I know that the nose of their pens can be unscrewed. If the nose can be removed, then it should be easy to remove what's left of the nib from the chuck. Note that if you attempt this, it helps a lot to have a piece of rubber sheet (or some other "grippy" material) so that your fingers don't slip on the smooth surface of the pen. I keep a small piece of rubber shelf liner in my toolbox for situations like this. Alternatively, you can get an inexpensive rubber glove at a grocery or drug store.

I can think of another method, but I hesitate to describe it as it is not for the faint of heart. Hopefully, the method above will work for you...

Good luck...